"Lihnidos the eternal City on the lake" Ohrid by MacedonianUK
Ohrid Travel Guide: 901 reviews and 3,003 photos
The story of Ohrid or Lihnidos as it was known in Roman times is over 2000yrs old.....
Ohrid is UNESCO WHS and is known as "Pearl of the Balkans" or "Balkan Jerusalem"
Due to the geographical & strategic importance the shores of Lake Ohrid have been dotted with settlements since prehistory.
The "Bay of bones" is open air museum about 18km from City of Ohrid which recreate the neolithic settlements in the area and shows human ingenuity.
Ohrid history is very rich & checkered and layers can be seen all over the Old Town also is said that Ohrid have 365 Churches.
One for every day of the year.
Around 186 are still preserved and used by the population today.
One of the biggest St Sofija Church has been used as Mosque,prison and now is preserved and used as concert hall during the International Art Festival " Ohrid Summer"
The church itself posses excellent acoustics...
Also Ohrid is known as the birth palce of the Cyrilic Alphabet.
Two of the disciples of Cyrilious & Metoudious come from Ohrid.
Their names were Klement & Naum and after the untimely deaths of the two brothers they returned to their home town.
In the far shores of Ohrid lake at the Sv Jovan Monastery (now known as Sv Naum) they founded the first Slavonic University.
3000 priests and teachers come from that school and Climent & Naum rewrote the Galgolic alphabet from 47 letters down to 31 and in the honour of their teacher they name it Cyrilic.
All the Slav tribes used the books and the Bible translated in old Salvonic language, and that way the Cyrilic alphabet made its way from the shores of lake Ohrid to the wild tundra of Russia.....
The boys from the paragliding club are awesome! They pick you up from your hotel or place you stay and take you up the... more travel advice
I stayed in Villa Dislievski, as an part of doing research for good accommodation for the upcoming EuroMeet 2011 in... more travel advice
MacedonianUK's Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Beautiful Ohrid Lake"
- "A Church for each day of the Year."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 82 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Profiling while travelling "
- updated a Ohrid Travel Page "Lihnidos the eternal City on the lake"
- Wrote a Review You don't have to be adrenalin junkie to enjoy it! about Paragliding over Ohrid Lake in Ohrid Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "You don't have to be adrenalin junkie to enjoy it!"
- Commented on one of MacedonianUK's Ohrid travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ohrid Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Republic of Macedonia Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Bradford Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Skopje Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Stip Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Strumica Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos