"Skopje, the city of many faces" Skopje by MacedonianUK
Skopje Travel Guide: 837 reviews and 2,165 photos
The (Hi)story of Skopje is 6000 yr old. Starts with the Neolithic settlement at "Tumba Madzari" and the story lasts till today...
Greek geographer Claudius Ptolomeius, under its ancient name Scupi in the 3rd century BC. It was located at the confluence of the rivers Lepenec and Vardar.
The area which is now the modern City of Skopje have been settled by the Traybals , than taken over & controlled by the Iliryan tribe of Dardans.
In the year 148 BC, the Romans came to the Balkans, conquered Scupi and settled the Roman army here.
The Romans build & fortified many cities in Macedonia, including Stobi, in the Varadar river valley.
Scupi (Skopje) lies on a seismic fault and is hit by earth tremors frequently, and 3 big earthquakes destroyed the city during it's existence.
Scupi was almost completely destroyed by an earthquake in 518 AD, the first of the three disastrous earthquakes that leveled this city.
In his chronicle Comes Marcelinius described this tragedy:
"... In just a moment 24 towns were destroyed. Scupi, the capital of Dardania, was leveled completely as if it had been sacked by the most terrible conquerors. A crack of 30 miles long and 12 feet wide appeared, gushing hot stream."
The Byzantium emperor Justinian 1st family comes from village of Taor near today's Skopje and during his reign he founded the Byzantium town of Justiciana Prima.
During Justinijan 1st, Slavs started to invade these areas. The tribe Beregeziti (also known as Berziti) was later recognized as rulers in the Skopje region.
In the middle ages the fate of Skopje was also chequered and it changed with every new ruler , till the coming in power of Tsar Samoil ((976-1018)
The first Macedonian King who united the whole region of Macedonia.
In 1040 there was the rebellion of Petar Deljan, nephew of the Emperor Samoil, who fought very bravely for Skopje and he even succeeded in returning the city, but only for a short period. The next rebellion was in 1072, led by Georgi Vojteh. But his success only lasted for a short period also. In 1081 Skopje got a new master. The Normans, led by Robert Guiscard, arrived via Durres (city in Albania) and attacked and sacked Skopje.
In 1093 the tribal head of the Serbs, Vukan, interrupted the domination of the Normans for a short period, and then the Norman Duke Boemund Tarenian again subjected the whole of Polog valley, including Skopje. Many conquerors followed him in the streets of this city. The first of them was the Bulgarian Emperor Kaloyan (1204). Three years later the master of Prosek, Dobromir Strez, arrived in Skopje and remained until 1215. After him, again the Bulgarians, Byzantines, the Serbs. The fate of Skopje was similar to the fate of Macedonia: constantly to change masters.
" I understand the world solely as a field for cultural competition among nations". Goce Delchev 1872-1903 When you... more travel advice
MacedonianUK's Related Pages
Skopje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skopje -- najgolem grad vo Makedonija!"
- "Skopje - A Reborn City"
- "A beautiful city on the river."
- "Moeto Skopjence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skopje
- Hotels in Skopje
- Transportation in Skopje
- Nightlife in Skopje
- Restaurants in Skopje
- Shopping in Skopje
- Warnings and Dangers in Skopje
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skopje
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 116 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Skopje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skopje
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Profiling while travelling "
- updated a Skopje Travel Page "Skopje, the city of many faces"
- Commented on one of planxty's Skopje tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Interesting take on Macedonian History"
- Wrote a Review Interesting take on Macedonian History about Macedonia Square in Skopje Things to Do
Photos in SkopjeSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ohrid Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Republic of Macedonia Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Bradford Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Skopje Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Stip Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Strumica Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos