"Monastery of Sv Preobrazenie-Zrze" Zrze by MacedonianUK
Zrze Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 17 photos
It is located to the north of Prilep, above the village of Zrze.
The church is dedicated to the Holy Transfiguration.
It was built by monk German in the mid-XIV century, during King Dusan's time.
Its maintenance was continued by his nieces, fresco painters Joan (a metropolitan) and his brother Makarie (a monk).
After the arrival of the Turks within the region, the brothers ceded the monastery to their village mayor Konstantin and his sons Jakov, Kalojan, and Dimitar. During Bayazit I the monastery was abandoned, and it was renewed by Konstantin.
Before 1368/1369 the western parvis was added.
After the death of Konstantin's sons, it was abandoned again, and in the early XVI century was seriously damaged.
It was reconstructed in 1535. During 1544/1545, six priests lived there: priest Jakov, priest Malesija, priest Filip, priest Gerasim, priest Nikola, and priest Josif.
In 1616 Visarion the monk transcribed a Menaion for the month of February in the monastery, and was paid for the job by Stojan Petkov from the village of Krapa.
In 1625 the latest, the church's structure was finished, and a parvis was added. In 1624/1625 the monastery's prior was Damaskin, and in 1634/1635 Petronij, with the monks Kiril Simeon and Gerasim.
In the XVII century the monastery was expanded. On its northern side the church of St. Petar and Pavle (Peter and Paul) was built, later known as Shepherds' church.
During the XVIII century the Ottoman rebel - commander Mat Ilija used the monastery as a shelter.
In the middle of the same century the monastery was plundered. In the village of Zrze there were many old churches that maybe were its appendices.
According to a legend, both Vukasin and his son, King Marko, got married in the monastery
The church was not spared during the Turkish plunder. As a result, the majority of the church inventory disappeared forever. Fortunately not everything was lost. The monastery of Zrze, evidently protected by its lucky star, resisted all the evil and destructive spirits that attacked it during its centuries long life.
Telephone contact to the Monastery: 00389 48 45 9400
- Pros:Worth your trubble to get there, as the monastery and scenary are breathtaking!
- Cons:Road is little bit too "off the beaten track" but MOnasteries in MKD are up in the Mountains!
- In a nutshell:Breathtaking!!!
MacedonianUK's Related Pages
Zrze Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zrze
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Zrze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zrze
Photos in ZrzeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitola Intro, 43 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgrade Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ohrid Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Bradford Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- FYR of Macedonia Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Delhi Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Strumica Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Stip Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Zrze Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos