"cinque terre" Riomaggiore by rkearns

Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos

a funny thing happened in cinque terre.

cinque terre is on the northern coast of italy about half way between pisa and genova. it's a village of 5 towns on a rocky coast. there is hiking, swimming and climbing. but let's get to the interesting part.

i was told by a friend to go there and ask for someone named "simone". i thought, i don't know where this person is or where to find him. lo and behold, i find myself on a train to cinque terre, unplanned, and arrive at ten at night. i walk up the small cobbled street to find the first light on at a mom n pop bar. i walk in. i ask at the counter, "do you know a simone?" he yells, "simone!" and 5 men at the back table point their fingers at a man sitting with them. he was the simone i was searching out. he came to me, bought me two glasses of wine after some conversation, offered for me to stay at his new place, a b&b with an ocean view. three rooms with my own bathtub. this is the magical mystery of cinque terre.

the locals say that here in america, we work so hard for what we have, our cars, our homes, etc. but in italy, people work easy. they work long hours but they enjoy their work. i say, let's get out of this state of mind and work with friends, beverages and sweet suites overlooking the glassy waters of our front yards.

• Last visit to Riomaggiore: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2010

Comments

rkearns

“not all who wander are lost”

Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore

Have you been to Riomaggiore?

Latest Activity in Riomaggiore