"Where everything began...for me" Venezuela by mario_spring_83
Venezuela Travel Guide: 2,517 reviews and 6,412 photos
When you get outside the "Aeropuerto internacional S.Bolivar" of Caracas, you can't imagine that you are about to visit one of the most amazing and beautyful countries in the world. On the motorway which leads to the city the landscape is dominated by a 2000 meters mountains range which develops along the caribbean coast and divides the city of Caracas from the sea. The slopes of these mountains are spotted with little villages mostly made of barracks where an extremely poor population live.
When you get into the western part of the city you have the feeling that the situation is not much better: big buildings here replace the barracks of the villages but the atmosphere you breathe is shocking and you have the feeling that is better to get out of there as soon as possible if you don't want to be robbed or murdered...
This was my first impression when, after 24 years, i went back to the country where i was born.
I couldn't imagine that behind this "black and white entrance" was hidden a country which gave me the serenity of a rainbow...a rainbow of a thousand colours.
After my solo experience across Siberia, I decided that it would have been nice to travel with a companion this time. Domenico, my lifetime friend was exactly in the same situation...he travelled on his own across Siberia and the travel bug was biting inside him to do something big.
Of course it took 1 minute to decide that we would have gone together to Venezuela.
Why Venezuela? Well...me, I was born there and i had been watching my parents pictures and hearing their tales about the country for 24 years, so i had a natural curiousity towards this country.
Domenico, on the other hand, had a strong wish of travelling in South America after he travelled across all Europe, Usa and Siberia.
Once the decision to go had been taken we only bought a return flight ticket: departure,9th february- return, 10th march. Only once month unfortunately due to his studies and my job.
We planned a general itinerary without booking anything and we would have travelled looking forward to make of it a great adventure. We would have travelled by hitchiking, or on old buses or..even worse..on small old little planes.
The following pages describe more or less the adventures we had along this itinerary:
-Caracas, the busy cosmopolitan capital of the country which gave life to "El Libertador" Simon Bolivar...(and myself;)).
-Ciudad Bolivar, a charming city whose colourful colonial center lays on the shore of the Orinoco, the longest river in Venezuela.
-Canaima, a little pemon (name of the indigenous population) village situated on the shore of a wonderful laggon which holds the same name and which is the starting point for a 2 days canoe trip to the base of the Salto Angel, the highest waterfall in the world with its 1000 meters.
-Santa Elena de Uairen, a wonderful little town in the southeast of the country only 10 km before the brazilian border. It is the access point to a 5 days trekking to the top of Roraima, one of the most amazing things i have ever seen.
-Maracay, a busy city in the north of the country.
- Choroni and Puerto Columbia, two charming colonial towns on the caribbean coast with great parties.
-Merida, the capital of the andes region, with its nice center and its lively life. It is the access point to Pico Bolivar, which, with its 5007 meters, is the highest mountain i have ever climbed so far.
-Los Nevados, a cute andean village hidden in the heart of beautyful mountains
-Adicora, on the "peninsula de paraguanà", a little town popular among kitesurfer...it's a pity we are not...
-Coro, a nice colonial center with a wonderful posada (guesthouse). It is the access point to the "Parque nacional Medanos de Coro" which hosts an amazing sarah-like desert.
- Chichiriviche, a little town which provides access by boat to the islands of Cayo Sal, Cayo Peradze and Cayo Sombrero, in the caribbean paradise of the "Parque Nacional Morrocoy".
- Back to Caracas...it's time to fly home.
- Pros:Wonderful People, natural wonders
mario_spring_83's Related Pages
Venezuela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "YOU ALWAYS BE WELCOME!!!!!!!!"
- "Venezuela is a beautiful party place"
- "Amapola's Venezuela Page"
- "Venezuela-Viva Variety"
- "Venezuela con mochila"
- "Venezuela by Luiggi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venezuela
- Hotels in Venezuela
- Transportation in Venezuela
- Nightlife in Venezuela
- Restaurants in Venezuela
- Shopping in Venezuela
- Warnings and Dangers in Venezuela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venezuela
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Venezuela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venezuela
Top 10 Pages
- Verona Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lloret de Mar Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fitzroy Island Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Turku Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sardegna Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- L'Aquila Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos