"St. Vincent" Saint Vincent by dbeatty
Saint Vincent Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 54 photos
An island hopping trip to St. Vincent. Our Caribbean Star flight from Barbados arrived at the Arnos Vale airport at 3:20. A very small airport typical of this area, it makes for quick luggage pickup! A quick taxi ride to our hotel on South Coast, Mariners Hotel. Change into a suit for a pool side sunset cocktail. Across the water was Young Island, a private ($$) resort. Young Island has a private water taxi which you can board to visit the island and take the short walk past the restaurant, pool and reception office. The grounds are off limits to non guests, but you make utilize the restaurant. Advance permission is required to board the taxi.
The next morning we contracted a private taxi to tour the leeward coast. We drove past some great views of Kingston and stopped at Fort Charlotte. Our driver pointed out a great dive spot-an old stone leper bath, the women's prison and, beyond our sight, the gallows where they still hang people! It had a fabulous view.
Further along, we looked down upon the picturesque coastal town of Layou from the road on the bluff there was a contrast between the new modern sea wall and the old wooden colorful houses, a blend of old and new.
We went on to Wallilabou and had lunch next to the film site of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Before turning back we drove by Wallilabou Falls which wasn't amazing but people were still taking a dip!
Our driver pretty much insisted that we stop at the Botanical gardens in Kingston on the way back through town. It was kind of a tourist trap. Admission was only like $4 US pp but there were tour guides who insisted on taking you through and you had to "tip" them at the conclusion of the tour. There were some fabulous plants inside though, very pretty. It didn't take that long and our guide was informative.
All in all I would suggest taking this tour, it was a nice way to pass the day.
The next day we jumped on the ferry to Bequia and had a splendid crossing. I dropped a "Message in a bottle" off the boat mid channel. I wonder where it is now?
P.S. I didn't go diving this time, but I heard that it is fabulous shallow (25-40 feet) diving.
I was there was a lot of fabulous shallow diving, 25 - 40 feet. Didn't go this time myself but I took a picture of a... more travel advice
This restaurant is on the film site of The Pirates of the Caribbean. Our cab driver/tour guide suggested we dine here... more travel advice
dbeatty's Related Pages
Saint Vincent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Young Island"
- "Volcanic Vincent"
- "St. Vincent"
- "Saint Vincent, St Vincent & The Grenadines"
- "Sailing in the Grenadines"
- "The Gem of the Antilles"
- "St Vincent & the Grenadines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Vincent
- Hotels in Saint Vincent
- Transportation in Saint Vincent
- Nightlife in Saint Vincent
- Restaurants in Saint Vincent
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Vincent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Vincent
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Saint Vincent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Vincent
Photos in Saint VincentSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Chipping Campden Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Saint Vincent Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bequia Island Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Carriacou Island Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Julian Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Barbados Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Grenada Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Isla Mujeres Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.