"Union Island" Union Island by dbeatty

Union Island Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 25 photos

Nice visit

The seas were still a bit rough the day we took the ferry over from Canouan. There was a/c inside and they were showing a Star Wars movie, but I preferred to hang outside where there was a breeze. I was happy to disembark. We were picked up by the Big Sand Hotel's taxi for the short ride to the hotel. The beach had a lot of coral washed on the shore and a good lot of glass. I did a little snorkeling there, but there was a lot of sea grass and not so many animals. We heard their restaurant was one of the two best places to eat on the island, but, since we only had one night we wanted to check out town and eat there.
There is a great shop in Clifton Harbour called Captain Gourmet, we almost bought our dinner out of the deli case! Instead we headed over to The West Indies Restaurant. We had a few drinks in the bar and met some expats from all over, Greece, Germany, Venezuela, Canada and England (of course) to name a few. The owner of the restaurant is a very nice French woman. We had a delicious dinner there.
We asked the staff if they would call us a taxi for the ride to the Big Sand Hotel, which they were polite enough to do. We hopped in the back and said hi to the driver and his female friend who was sitting in front and headed out. Then, we stopped twice picking more people up, so I guess the van we were in was more of a bus?! There was also a tv screen in the van which he turned on for entertainment, I guess. That was kinda weird.
And of course in the morning, our flight to Grenada was an hour early so we barely made it to the airport in time. You REALLY have to stay on top of your transportation plans, which we weren't but we got lucky. We were just checking out of our hotel when the girl on staff commented "the plane is gonna be here in two minutes so you better get going"! The airport personnel actually looked disappointed that we made it. I joked to the pilot "You weren't gonna leave us were you?" to which he replied "I would've come back for you"! I don't know what the rush was. We stopped on the way at Carriacou and waited for 30 minutes before we left again for Grenada. That SVG flight was the smallest plane of our trip, a 10 seater and it was really hot in there.
Our last stop was Grenada, check out my travel page for the end of my story...well almost.

• Last visit to Union Island: Oct 2005
  • Intro Written Feb 9, 2007

Comments

Badges & Stats in Union Island

Have you been to Union Island?

Latest Activity in Union Island