"Welcome to Carlsbad California!" dbeatty's Profile
I live in the southern part of the city of Carlsbad called La Costa. You may have heard of the city due to the Accenture Match Play Golf Tournament which has been played at the La Costa Resort and Spa in recent years.
LegoLand is also big here. I've never been there but I hear the grounds are fabulous and the kids love it too.
We have great beaches. The water is a little chilly, usually below 70 degrees F. In the summertime it warms up to 72 degrees if we're lucky!
The San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park are within an hours drive. I love the zoo, it's great! Balboa park and all the museums down there are a great way to spend the weekend. Then in the evening you have the Gaslamp District downtown which is filled with restaurants and bars. Downtown San Diego keeps getting better and better.
There is a cruise ship terminal downtown which we love because it brings in lots of tourism $$.
We have 3 lagoons in Carlsbad which open to the Pacific Ocean. They are all wildlife reserves and have great paths to go running or walking. It's a great place to relax in the natural surroundings of the Eucalyptus forests.
The city of Carlsbad is big on recycling. Every house is supplied with crates for your bottles, aluminum, cardboard, newspaper, etc. and a recycling truck comes by and picks up once a week. I love that. Sometimes when I travel, there is no recyling available and I feel awful throwing things away that I normally wouldn't.
The cost of living is very high here. Houses have skyrocketed in the last five years. I can't believe some of the houses that are selling for over a million dollars. They don't seem worth it, but, I don't see prices falling any time soon. Which is a good thing for me I guess cause I own one ;)
What can I say about the weather? Everyone knows San Diego is known for fabulous weather. It doesn't really change that much during the year. Sure it rains and gets cold, for a day or two, and then it's back to the same old moderate temperatures...60 - 80 degrees. Sunny and warm.
Personally, I love it when it rains. When I need some snow, I can always go up to Julian which is 1.5 hours drive away (assuming they have snow) or Big Bear which is a little farther, about 120 miles up north. You can't always be guaranteed that it will snow up there. If you want to ski or snowboard though, they're usually making snow on the slopes. You have to deal with a lot of people up there though. Lots of folks calling in sick to go skiing ;) My favorite place for snow is Jacksonhole Wyoming...but I digress.
Let's see, what else can I say? Oh, I've heard a statistic which states that Carlsbad is the 2nd safest city in San Diego County, behind Coronado. Works for me! We have a great police department!
Lots of watersports nearby. In addition to surfing, body boarding and body surfing there are lots of fishing trips, whale watching, snorkeling and fabulous diving in La Jolla where there is an underwater park. Everything is so close.
That doesn't mean you'll get there fast though. Something else I should mention is the traffic! Oy, it keeps getting worse and worse. It's like LA at times. They keep widening the freeways, it's terrible. So life isn't perfect here.
The 2000 census shows our population at 78,247 in a land area of 37.44 square miles. Roughly 60% of the population's household income is $75,000 or less.
I'll download some photos soon. It's a rainy and cloudy day today (can ya believe it) and I want all shots to be sunny :)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 78 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
- Commented on one of dbeatty's Bequia Island travel pages
- Posted in Travel Mammoth Forum "Snow shoeing"
- updated a Italy Travel Page "All over Italy"
- Wrote a Review A place to relax in Borrego Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place to relax"
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to Carlsbad California!"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Chipping Campden Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Saint Vincent Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bequia Island Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Carriacou Island Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Julian Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Barbados Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Grenada Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Isla Mujeres Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos