"Ireland Through the Eyes of a Child" Belfast by brighidnatasha

Belfast Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 785 photos

To My Father's Home

I went to Ireland with my father and my sister when we were little. It was an eye-opening experience, for one thing meeting my grandparents and for another seeing this very different and strange place. I was very distressed at the thought of school uniforms, amused by the fact they actually said "cheerio", and appalled by my first encounter with someone saying something blatanly racist.

Castles and Fairies

Meg and I were enthralled with all the castles around, which coming from Winnipeg was just amazing. I'm not sure I really believed they existed. I was particularly impressed with Shane's Castle, and the story of the banshee. I was somewhat hopeful, and somewhat worried, that I might be descended from the O'Neils and that she was going to come to my window at night.

Giants and Sidhe

We also thoroughly enjoyed the Giant's Causeway, which is said to be the remains of a bridge the giants once used. My father said that Finn McCule broke the causeway in order to get away from another giant he was having a fight with.

Of course, there were also at the time many soldiers, IRA grafiti and helicopters around. It was interesting when I got home, and my teachers tried to tell me that there was no war in Ireland.

• Intro Written May 16, 2005

Comments

brighidnatasha

“We didn't really mean to go this way, but since we're here...”

Badges & Stats in Belfast

Have you been to Belfast?

Latest Activity in Belfast