"Ireland Through the Eyes of a Child" Belfast by brighidnatasha
Belfast Travel Guide: 456 reviews and 1,027 photos
I went to Ireland with my father and my sister when we were little. It was an eye-opening experience, for one thing meeting my grandparents and for another seeing this very different and strange place. I was very distressed at the thought of school uniforms, amused by the fact they actually said "cheerio", and appalled by my first encounter with someone saying something blatanly racist.
Meg and I were enthralled with all the castles around, which coming from Winnipeg was just amazing. I'm not sure I really believed they existed. I was particularly impressed with Shane's Castle, and the story of the banshee. I was somewhat hopeful, and somewhat worried, that I might be descended from the O'Neils and that she was going to come to my window at night.
We also thoroughly enjoyed the Giant's Causeway, which is said to be the remains of a bridge the giants once used. My father said that Finn McCule broke the causeway in order to get away from another giant he was having a fight with.
Of course, there were also at the time many soldiers, IRA grafiti and helicopters around. It was interesting when I got home, and my teachers tried to tell me that there was no war in Ireland.
brighidnatasha's Related Pages
Belfast Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quick Trip To Belfast"
- "Fek! I never knew that..."
- "Belfast - no more a Troubled City?"
- "Suvankis Day Trip to Belfast for 2 pence!"
- "A real gem in the Emerald Isle"
- "Much more interesting than I expected......"
- "Belfast ~ An Impressive Emergence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belfast
- Hotels in Belfast
- Transportation in Belfast
- Nightlife in Belfast
- Restaurants in Belfast
- Shopping in Belfast
- Warnings and Dangers in Belfast
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belfast
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Belfast?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belfast
Top 10 Pages
- Winnipeg Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Varadero Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Quito Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colombo Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rankin Inlet Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Belfast Intro, 3 photos
- Baton Rouge Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Guayaquil Intro, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anuradhapura Intro, 3 photos
- Cameron Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.