"Karlstad - the town in my heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlstad by Rojo72

Karlstad Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 181 photos

Welcome to sun city!

Karlstad is known as the sun city of Sweden, almost always in the top 3-4 cities as far as sun hours per year goes. "Sola i Karlstad", "The sun in Karlstad" as a famous expression goes doesn't really point towards the sun though. It was rather a nice nick-name for a waitress in Karlstad in the 17th or 18th century who was always happy and sang for her customers. Nowadays there's a statue of her in front of the Bishop's Arms pub.

Karlstad is where I lived between 1991 and 2005. There are a lot of things to see in this city of 80.000 inhabitants. The major landmark of the city is the River Klarälven, which floats through the city in an easterly and a westerly branch before reaching the Lake Vänern.

UPDATE! HOORAY, I'M BACK IN KARLSTAD AGAIN!

Where is Karlstad?

Karlstad is the major city of the county of Värmland and also the residence city for the County Governor. The County of Värmland is situated north of Lake Vänern and has a border with Norway.

Karlstad is in the southern part of the country, just north of the lake, where the red dot is on the map here.

The Värmland Museum

One of the major tourist attractions in Karlstad is the Värmland Museum, the museum of the County of Värmland, situated just north in the city center and overlooking the point where the river divides. Read more about it in a must-see tip.

• Pros:Beautiful city by the river, good nightlife, very beautiful surroundings
  • Cons:same old, same old...
  • In a nutshell:A great place for party as well as nature travel.
  • Intro Updated Apr 29, 2006

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Informative, well done. River Klar- I thought Klar was a Russian name. Is it Swedish, too? I hope to visit Sweden someday...

• facet's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Hi ! Thanks for your informative pages. I'll be spending a few days in Karlstad in about two weeks' time, so your tips will come in very handy.

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 10:56 AM

I enjoyed your page on Karlstad. I spent several weeks there in 2001 & found the people to be very kind and gracious. Please say hello to my good friend Tomas Lindquist of Karlstad! Happy travels to you!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 10:25 AM

Hello. Great, interesting page about Karlstad. Greetings from Poland :)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 10:38 AM

Nice job. I can't figure out why French-style restaurants are so high-dollar (or krone) around the world. It isn't like the food is any better than anywhere else. Richmond also had a big fire in 1865.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 6:45 AM

What a thorough introduction to Karlstad, Roger - I hope the tourist office are paying you a commission? I'll forgo the yellow and lilac face paint but I am intrigued to visit the 'Färjestad Trot Course', as I have no idea what goes on there?!

• ophiru's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2005 at 1:46 AM

Very beautiful page with great tips and pictures. It is always great to learn from local people about their city.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 2:32 AM

Very good page! Before learning from this page Karlstad is such a beautiful town, I knew it for it's lying on the Stockholm-Oslo railway line. I hope there will be more trains on this line in the future, at least one every day, as before.

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 7:41 PM

i love the opening pic, so peaceful and beautiful. Happy Birthday Tourist!

• ronaldbarr's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 5:21 AM

Roger, thanks for your comments. Karlstad seems to have lots to offer. You have me very interested. I have never been to Sweden but it is on my hit list. Keep in touch. ronaldbarr

Rojo72 Lives Here!

Rojo72

“The more, the merrier”

Badges & Stats in Karlstad

Have you been to Karlstad?

Latest Activity in Karlstad