"Karlstad - the town in my heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlstad by Rojo72
Karlstad Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 181 photos
Welcome to sun city!
Karlstad is known as the sun city of Sweden, almost always in the top 3-4 cities as far as sun hours per year goes. "Sola i Karlstad", "The sun in Karlstad" as a famous expression goes doesn't really point towards the sun though. It was rather a nice nick-name for a waitress in Karlstad in the 17th or 18th century who was always happy and sang for her customers. Nowadays there's a statue of her in front of the Bishop's Arms pub.
Karlstad is where I lived between 1991 and 2005. There are a lot of things to see in this city of 80.000 inhabitants. The major landmark of the city is the River Klarälven, which floats through the city in an easterly and a westerly branch before reaching the Lake Vänern.
UPDATE! HOORAY, I'M BACK IN KARLSTAD AGAIN!
Where is Karlstad?
Karlstad is the major city of the county of Värmland and also the residence city for the County Governor. The County of Värmland is situated north of Lake Vänern and has a border with Norway.
Karlstad is in the southern part of the country, just north of the lake, where the red dot is on the map here.
The Värmland Museum
One of the major tourist attractions in Karlstad is the Värmland Museum, the museum of the County of Värmland, situated just north in the city center and overlooking the point where the river divides. Read more about it in a must-see tip.
- Pros:Beautiful city by the river, good nightlife, very beautiful surroundings
- Cons:same old, same old...
- In a nutshell:A great place for party as well as nature travel.
This tip should actually go under "Sweden" as it concerns all of the country but to put this tip alone there would make... more travel advice
Gubbholmen in the eastern branch of the river is an island that was formed a few metres downstream when the Eastern... more travel advice
- See All Drottninggatan
- See All Nudist beaches
- See All All over the world
- See All Relax!
Rojo72's Related Pages
Karlstad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karlstad - the town in my heart"
- "Värmland, central Sweden in the middle of nature"
- "Karlstad - a pretty and nice town!"
- "Vitalis's new Karlstad Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlstad
- Hotels in Karlstad
- Transportation in Karlstad
- Nightlife in Karlstad
- Restaurants in Karlstad
- Shopping in Karlstad
- Warnings and Dangers in Karlstad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlstad
- 71 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Karlstad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlstad
Photos in KarlstadSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlstad Intro, 71 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Ko Samet Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Piteå Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos