"Pittoresque little town in northern Sweden" Piteå by Rojo72
Piteå Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 23 photos
Piteå, a city of about 45.000 inhabitants is situated in northern Sweden, where the great river Piteälven joins the Gulf of Bothnia. It's south of the northern polar circle so there's no midnight sun there, but the sun just barely sets for a short time during summer. When I went there in April 2005 the sun went up at about 5 and set at about 10 in the evening.
Piteå is the place where my sister and her fiancé lives (and where he has been living for most of his life). It's a great place for summer are well as winter activites as there is a well-known beach in Piteå called Pite havsbad, which some years actually has the highest water temperatures in Sweden even though it's so far north.
When you go here you really should have a car to go around in the wild surroundings and enjoy the scenery.
My best tip is actually situated in the "neighbouring" municipality (100 km away), The great whitewater rapid "Storforsen" in Piteälv. The rapid lies in the Älvsbyn municipality.
I actually went here to celebrate my sister's fiancés 30th birthday but I think I won't have the guts to put THOSE pics online :p
Max hamburger restaurant chain is a swedish chain that originated up here in the north but which now is in place ratehr... more travel advice
Piteå is in sami country, at least when you go from the coast and inland. The sami usually let their cattle stay in the... more travel advice
Rojo72's Related Pages
Piteå Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pittoresque little town in northern Sweden"
- "Piggelin's Piteå Page"
- "Popular and charming summer town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piteå
- Transportation in Piteå
- Restaurants in Piteå
- Warnings and Dangers in Piteå
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Piteå
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Piteå?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piteå
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlstad Intro, 71 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Ko Samet Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Piteå Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos