"My ancestry" Rumskulla by Rojo72
Rumskulla Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 12 photos
Rumskulla is a small municipality of about 1000 inhabitants in Vimmerby in north-western Kalmar Län. It has been its own parish for centuries until the 1970's when it was put together with some other parishes in Vimmerby.
Rumskulla is a typical rural area, almost the quintessence of what people think of as rural Småland. Fields with stone walls (a reminder of the hard struggle to clear the fields one time), small wodden houses and pittoresque fields.
Almost all of my ancestors on my mother's father's side comes from the area and I have traced them back to the 17th century.
Rumskulla is also famous because it was here, in the village Gibberyd that the films about Astrid Lindgren's character "Emil in Lönneberga" was filmed in 1972. The houses are still there to be seen, though they are now privately owned and you can't ENTER the houses, though you MAY enter some of the smaller buildings.
From the north:
Go by road 34 southwards towards Vimmerby. Turn onto the small road west where it says Rumskulla.
From the south:
Like from north, except you go northbound on road 34.
From East or west: Go on road 33, turn north at Hässleby towards Rumskulla.
Rumskulla is a very small place with only about 1000 inhabitants so don't expect to find a nice restaurant or anything... more travel advice
Astrid Lindgren, the world-famous children's books author was born in Vimmerby and the films about Emil in Lönneberga... more travel advice
Rojo72's Related Pages
Rumskulla Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rumskulla
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Rumskulla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rumskulla
Photos in RumskullaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlstad Intro, 71 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Ko Samet Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Piteå Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos