"We met Ms. Akaka!" Akaka Falls State Park by 4streegrrl
Akaka Falls State Park Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 33 photos
For some impressive falls, visit Akaka Falls. There are actually two sets of falls: Kahuna (seen here in a badly take photo) and Akaka (seen below). Kahuna Falls are the smaller of the two, with Akaka plunging a massive 420 feet. Both are worth a visit.
After walking back to the parking lot, we stopped to have a nice chat with Ms. Akaka, a native Hawaiian whose family "inspired" the name of the falls. She will sell you some lovely woodblock prints made by her husband. And if you're truly interested and ask the right questions, will tell you all about the social and economic problems of the native Hawaiians. We were very interested, and it was a very informative discussion. Oh yes, and look around at all the abandoned sugar cane fields you will see all about you - then ask her how she feels about *that*. Learn about the real, less shiny Hawaii.
Oh yes, and we bought a print too, for a very reasonable price. Then stopped in the cool little town of Honomu on the way back to the highway. Mr. Ed's Bakery has some yummy treats awaiting.
- Pros:Free and beautiful
- Cons:The mosquitos
- In a nutshell:Hawaii may appear to be a shiny, happy place, but has some real problems.
4streegrrl's Related Pages
Akaka Falls State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Akaka Falls State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaka Falls State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Akaka Falls State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Akaka Falls State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaka Falls State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Volcano Intro, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Auckland Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Piha Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Rangitoto Island Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Hilo Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waitakere Ranges Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Karekare Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naalehu Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Punaluu Intro, 3 photos