"Just a young one" Rangitoto Island by 4streegrrl
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos
Rangitoto Island wasn't on my original list of places to see because of time constraints, but I ended up going after my Tiritiri Matangi trip was cancelled due to high winds. I'm glad it worked out because it's a cool place to visit. Only 600 years old, this island is one of the least modified volcanic cones in the Auckland volcanic field. It is now an extinct volcano and protected and managed by the Department of Conservation, so you have nothing to worry about while spending a day here. :) Only a 30 minute ferry ride from Auckland harbour, a trip to Rangitoto Island makes for a great half or full-day trip for picnicking, hiking, plant "watching", bird watching, lava field-viewing, and viewing the old 'baches' built in the 1930's.
Since the island erupted from the sea, it has been colonized by more than 200 species of native plants. Many of the plant species here are unusual in that they are typically found growing outside of their normal habitats. For example, sub-alpine moss species are found growing at sea level on Rangitoto Island, and plant species that typically grow in tree canopies are found growing at ground-level here. You'll also find one of New Zealand's largest red-flowering Pohutukawa forest on the island.
Rangitoto Island has many kilometers of trails and roads to follow. You can head up to the summit, or wander the circuit of the island along the sea and admire Auckland off in the distance.
- Pros:Hiking, lava caves to explore, bird-watching and more
- Cons:No water, food or other services - bring enough to be self-sufficient
- In a nutshell:Interesting geology, nature and history only 30 minutes from the city
In the 1920's and 1930's, three 'bach' communities were developed on Rangitoto Island at Rangitoto Wharf, Islington Bay... more travel advice
4streegrrl's Related Pages
Rangitoto Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rangitoto, Island Volcano"
- "Just a young one"
- "Keeweechic's Rangitoto Island"
- "Rangitoto Island, New Zealand"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rangitoto Island
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Rangitoto Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rangitoto Island
Photos in Rangitoto IslandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Volcano Intro, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Auckland Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Piha Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Rangitoto Island Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Hilo Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waitakere Ranges Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Karekare Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naalehu Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Punaluu Intro, 3 photos