Victoria Things to Do Tips by suziezed
Victoria Things to Do: 489 reviews and 857 photos
Rear of legislature reflected in tuba
Don't worry - we Victorians are far too polite to correct you or tell you off if you call our legislative buildings the 'Parliament Buildings'. The only true Parliament Buildings are in Ottawa, Ontario (our national capital).
You might think that the legislative buildings are boring but I think they are one of the great overlooked treasures of our city. To get the full impact of the buildings do one circuit on the outside (on the pavement). This will give you a chance to see the statue of Queen Victoria, the sequoia tree near the statue, the cenotaph and much more. Then move towards the building from the sidewalk and walk around again noting the many niches and statues that adorn the building, the finely crafted wooden doors, carved stone embellishments, the fountain at the rear of the building, the Premier's Rose Garden and much more.
Tours of the interior are held on weekdays all year round and on weekends as well during the summer silly season (also known as tourist season). There is no charge for the tour. Members of the public are also able to sit in the galleries when legislature is in session to observe the proceedings of government (not that they actual proceed very far most of the time).
The legislature website has a really, really excellent guide available in PDF format and you could download and print parts of that for your walk around the exterior of the building.
Address: Inner Harbour - Government and Belleville
Directions: Inner Harbour - Government and Belleville
Even those of us that live here love Beacon Hill Park. For many of us it holds fond memories of teenage (or older) trysts, family outings and solitary wanderings. What makes it so perpetually interesting is its variety of offerings and settings.
There's cricket on the pitch near Cook Street, a children's playground, the ever-popular petting zoo, the lookout with its fabulous views of the water, what was once the tallest totem pole in the world and acres of native and exotic trees and plants. There's a putting green, wandering peacocks and nesting herons and bald eagles.
The Cameron Bandshell often plays host to concerts during the summer and this year the park will again host the magical Luminara.
Coolest thing that has happened in the park in years is the installation of the Heron Cam that allows you to look at what a pair of nesting herons in the park are up to.
Don't forget to drop by the Beacon Drive In for soft ice cream after you've been to the park. And please don't give the ducks bread - remember real birds don't eat bread.
Address: enter at the corner of Southgate and Douglas
Directions: stretches between Southgate Street and the ocean
The Westsong Walkway is a mixture of paved path and boardwalk that winds its way along the shoreline between downtown and Westbay Marina. Get onto the path just over the blue bridge (Johnson Street Bridge) in front of the Ocean Pointe Resort. Follow the trail around to Westbay Marina where you can have a coffee, snack or meal at the Dockside Cafe. Or double back from the Marina and stop at Spinnakers for a beer and snack or meal (http://www.spinnakers.com/)
You may see otters, seals, herons and other birds on your walk. You'll pass over the ocean (kids love this) on some of the boardwalk portions. It's a gorgeous walk whether it's sunny or drizzling. You can watch the float planes and boats enter the Inner Harbour and if your timing is right see the lumbering Coho, a large car ferry coming from Port Angeles, Washington, wallow into the harbour.
Address: Downtown to Esquimalt
Directions: get onto the trail in front of the Ocean Pointe Resort - just across the blue bridge
Phone: 1-877-838-2739 (Spinnakers)
More Reviews (40)
- See All Public Bus to the Ferry Terminal at...
- See All Pricey but good
- See All From top to bottom it's an experience
- A great place to help organize your trip
suziezed's Related Pages
Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very Victoria"
- "A Canadian city with a British twist!"
- "A Trip Home is ALWAYS GREAT !!"
- "Quenching the Thirst of a Glorious Past: Victoria"
- "Victoria, where I learnt more than just a language"
- "Living in Paradise - happy to share"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria
- Hotels in Victoria
- Transportation in Victoria
- Nightlife in Victoria
- Restaurants in Victoria
- Shopping in Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Laoag City
- La Spezia
- Ottawa Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Ipoh Hotels
Badges & Stats in Victoria
- 43 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 66 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria
Photos in VictoriaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Victoria Intro, 43 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mutare Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Uppsala Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- New Delhi 1 review, 3 photos
- Reno Intro, 3 reviews
- Perugia Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Deruta Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Bikaner 2 reviews
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Victoria hotel reviews
- Huntingdon Hotel And Suites
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Union Club Of British Columbia
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Albion Manor Bed and Breakfast
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Oxford Castle Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Spinnaker's Brewpub and Guesthouse
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Scholefield House
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2009
- The Cherry Bank
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Turtle Hostel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Abbeymoore Manor Bed and Breakfast
- 815 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Travellers Inn - Douglas - Blanshard
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2012
- Seaside Luxury Resort and Spa
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2012
- Andersen House Bed & Breakfast
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 15, 2010
- Blue Ridge Inn
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Dashwood Manor
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Bedford Regency Hotel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Chinatown- 29 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Butchart Gardens- 57 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Inner Harbour- 23 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Legislature Buildings- 32 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Craigdarroch Castle- 21 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Walking- 23 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Empress Hotel- 31 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Royal British Columbia Museum- 31 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Beacon Hill Park- 16 Reviews, 37 Photos
See All Victoria Things to Do