"Life is just what you do between trips" suziezed's Profile
On July 13, 2012 (a Friday) I arrived in Stockholm, Sweden, and a few hours later, after a surprisingly good sleep, I traveled to Uppsala, some 70km north, where I will be living for the next two years.
Next Monday, September 3, 2012, I begin a two-year Master's program in International Health at Uppsala University. It's exciting and a bit scary all at the same time. How will the education here (which is English I hasten to add - not Swedish) compare to the workload and level of difficulty of that I experienced during my undergrad? Will I be able to live up to the high standards I expect of myself academically? Will I meet a handsome, single and wealthy Swedish man who wants to take me on a round the world trip ... er, sorry, got a bit off track there. Stay tuned to find out more.
I didn't discover traveling until I was in my thirties. I was living in Calgary and working at Northern Telecom (those were the days). I was telling a coworker about a show I had seen the night before on PBS that was about the discovery of the magnificent frescoes at Ajanta in India. I said "I'd love to go there." And he said "Why don't you?" I had no response as to why I couldn't or didn't. So I did.
I left a well-paying job, a really cute guy (you know who you are) and my routine life behind. It was not a little scary. My jitters weren't helped by the fact that less than two weeks before my departure Rajiv Gandhi was blown apart by a suicide bomber in southern India - a part of the country that everyone had assured me was safe (or safer than the North).
I was also going at completely the wrong time of year (can't remember why now) and it was hot, hot, hot. On my arrival in Mumbai they had the heaviest monsoon in nearly four decades. I was stuck there for a week because no trains could run there was so much water on the ground. I didn't care and tramped around the city in alternating states of bliss and despair. There was a garbage strike on too and I remember a very funny cartoon in the Times of India showing people waiting at a bus stop standing on the piles of garbage and thanking various gods that the garbage workers were on strike otherwise they would have been submerged while waiting for the bus.
In the following 3 years I returned to India twice but never made it to Southeast Asia. My last trip was in 1995 and I am now planning a 6-month return trip in 2006.
I fed my habit with vicarious travel and piddly trips to Reno and Seattle and Ottawa in the years since but then got a big fix in 2002 when I was gone for 6 months from Jan-July.
I went to Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, England and Italy. Yes those last two are right.
It was quite a trip and it will keep me going for a while. I'm currently picking up credits to go to University full-time in September 2007 but I've decided I won't survive without a long trip until school is over (2010 or 2011). So it's off to India in 2006.
Who'd like to meet up with me on the road?
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 62 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Commented on suziezed's profile page
- Posted in Travel Copenhagen Forum "Summer Accommodation in Copenhagen"
- Wrote a Review Second cup of coffee is (often) free in Uppsala Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Second cup of coffee is (often) free"
- created a Uppsala Travel Page "Welcome to the Oxford of Sweden"
updated their Profile Page "Life is just what you do between trips"
- suziezed and aadil are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Victoria Intro, 43 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mutare Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Uppsala Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- New Delhi 1 review, 3 photos
- Reno Intro, 3 reviews
- Perugia Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Deruta Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Bikaner 2 reviews
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos