"Dakar - Ile de la Goree" Dakar by dunearn20
Dakar Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 455 photos
The island of Goree is close to Dakar, you reach it by boat.
It used to be the transshipment point for slaves. They were caught and bought around Senegal and then brought here to be shipped to America. On the photo is Dakar visible in the background.
This is the house of the biggest slave merchant on the island, thousands of people went through here. A door on the backside went directly towards the sea on board of a ship - the "door of no return". Now a interesting museum of this horrible chapter in african, european and american history.
A nice restaurant is located on the island la Goree, I forgot the name but you can see it on the very right of the photo more travel advice
dunearn20's Related Pages
Dakar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Dakar"
- "Dakar - a great stop-over on a cruise"
- "Dakar... not what you would think!!!"
- "Chaotic, Charming and Colourful - Bustling Dakar"
- "A Visit to Lac Rose"
- "Dakar - The Western Tip of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dakar
- Hotels in Dakar
- Transportation in Dakar
- Nightlife in Dakar
- Restaurants in Dakar
- Shopping in Dakar
- Warnings and Dangers in Dakar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dakar
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Dakar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dakar
Photos in DakarSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haiti Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port-au-Prince Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Cap-Haïtien Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Quito Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Dakar Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Axim Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos