"tokyo" Tokyo by zephyrgurl108

Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,096 reviews and 10,118 photos

my experience

i knew i would enjoy visiting japan but my expectations were exceeded. the people are just so nice and polite; transportation so easy; food great; and there are so many things to do and see from the old to the new.
i flew in with my BF james via cathay pacific and we landed on narita international airport, took the train to the city and arrived in our host's home in bunkyo ku north of tokyo late night.

memorable places

we went to asakusa on our first day. saw the sensoji temple and enjoyed checking out the various japanese souvenirs on the shopping street leading to the temple's main hall. then, we took a 40 minute ferry ride down sumida river to hinode pier. we walked to ebisu, and watched the sunset from ebisu garden tower.

the next day, we went to kamakura to visit japan's second largest buddha statue. it was truly amazing. we also checked out the hasedera temple in the area as well as a shinto shrine to the god of war and then had a nice japanese style vegetarian meal in a special restaurant there.

on the third day, we went to the gokokuji temple in bunkyo ku, swanky shibuya and harajaku and got my first experience of the tokyo midnight train rush.

fourth day, we went to ueno park where i saw some more temples and had dinner in mos burger - the vegetarian rice burgers were excellent!

fifth day, i stayed at home with our hosts and then had dinner in a mexican restaurant in tokyo.

our last day was spent meeting some more friends before heading off to the airport.

what i love about tokyo

it seems like everything is available here. i was able to buy a tripod for my slim camera which i couldn't find in hongkong or china. a memory card for my digicam also cost half the price of what i would've paid in hk.

trains everywhere. no car? no problem. no no need for taxis.

i'm crazy about oniguris. the vegetarian kind.

i'd love to visit japan again.

I've chronicled my one week's stay in Japan on my Xanga site. Check it out.
Lila Goes to Japan Day 1

If you want to see more of my Tokyo pics, check out my Tokyo Flickr Album

• Pros:it's the train and convenience lifestyle
  • Cons:haven't been there long enough to find out
  • In a nutshell:tokyo, more than just the big screens and neon lights
  • Last visit to Tokyo: Aug 2006