"Moonshine and a Merry Cemetery" Judetul Maramures by sieffron
Judetul Maramures Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 114 photos
The Maramures region is the epitome of pastoral. Unfortunately, I had only a night and a day to spend there, but I feel lucky to have been there at all. It's an out of the way destination in Romania, but anyone who's got the time to get there will be rewarded with bucolic vistas of lush green mountains dotted with fir trees and tall conical haystacks, along with the requisite traditionally clad farmers, pitchforks in hand and oxen by their side. The people are warm, friendly, and helpful, seemingly even more so when a language barrier exists. I visited the city of Sighetu Marmatiei and the village of Sapanta. I somehow wound up devoid of photos of Sighetu, but there are a few of Sapanta and its famous "Merry Cemetery". This was one of the highlights of my summer 2004 trip - my only regret was that I didn't have time to rent a car and explore some of the more traditional villages of the region.
- Pros:friendly people, unique dress and architecture, food
- Cons:a bit out of the way if you don't have more than a week in Romania
If you go to Maramures, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. more travel advice
The collection of grave markers gives visitors to the cemetery a good idea of everyday life in Sapanta. Sheperds,... more travel advice
sieffron's Related Pages
Judetul Maramures Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moonshine and a Merry Cemetery"
- "Travelling Around Maramures"
- "Maramures in the snow"
- "One special place in Romania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Judetul Maramures
- Hotels in Judetul Maramures
- Transportation in Judetul Maramures
- Restaurants in Judetul Maramures
- Shopping in Judetul Maramures
- Warnings and Dangers in Judetul Maramures
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Judetul Maramures
- 13 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Judetul Maramures?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Judetul Maramures
Photos in Judetul MaramuresSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hoi An Intro, 22 reviews, 30 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Goreme Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Gura Humorului Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Judetul Maramures Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos
- Samaria Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Phu Quoc Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
Top Judetul Maramures hotels
- Baia Mare Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 20 Photos