Ghana Transportation Tips by IoannaE

Ghana Transportation: 51 reviews and 51 photos

STC Bus

Don't assume you can just hop on the next bus out of Accra. On Saturdays, particularly, you may find, as I did, that though you've arrived at the station early enough for the first bus to Cape Coast, there are no seats before 4 pm! Even when I tried to buy a ticket to Takoradi instead (you have to pay full fare even if you stop in Cape Coast, but the difference is small by western standards), there was no bus before 2 30, though this is a frequent service. So buy your ticket a day in advance!

(In the event, I got to the station at 2 pm to wait for the 4 pm bus - as I'd been told - and the brisk ticket lady put me on an earlier bus to Cape Coast and even refunded the CC-Takoradi part of my ticket, bless her. I got on the bus and naively looked for a seat - to general mirth. Finallly, somebody unfolded a seat into the middle of the aisle! )

Type: Bus

• Updated Jul 24, 2008
Squeezed in - Ghana

Squeezed in

tro-tros around Accra

I was a bit neurotic about riding tro-tros. They're old, decrepit, crowded and with a reputation for unsafe driving. But they didn't feel nearly as bad as their reputation suggested. Yes, they're crowded, but this is how everyone travels around, so it's a great way of seeing what daily life is like. I found mates, drivers and passengers alike to be helpful and courteous.

And they really are incredibly cheap. I took tro-tros across Accra for 20 cents! A tro-tro to Aburi from Tema station cost all of 60 cents - for 30 kilometres. The only catch is that, unlike for city tro-tros that have a continuous flow of passengers, when travelling out of the city you'll need to wait for the vehicle to fill up. And I do mean fill up!

Incidentally, if you hear a tro-tro mate in Accra call out 'accra (pronounced uh-KRA) they mean that Tema station, the main tro-tro station, is their terminus.

Type: Other

• Updated Jul 13, 2007
Taxis

I've never seen so many taxis! They are not metered and charge by time rather than by distance, so if they anticipate traffic (the jams can be horrendous) they will ask for a little more.

Do bargain, but don't worry too much about being overcharged. Taxi drivers will typically ask for more from tourists, but not outrageously so - 50 cents to a dollar for a longer distance was the most I was asked for over what a local would pay. Even though I only stayed in the capital and visited touristy areas, I can say this is not a big country for rip-offs!

Type: Other

• Updated Jul 13, 2007

IoannaE

“Tout est perdu sauf le bonheur”

Badges & Stats in Ghana