"Rock, sea and wind" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades by IoannaE
Prefecture of the Cyclades Travel Guide: 3,975 reviews and 12,076 photos
Ah, the Cyclades. Can't get enough of them.
I keep wanting to revisit the islands I've already enjoyed, but others beckon....
The thing is, they're all very similar: small, rocky, barren, windswept, with white-cube houses. (also, all are packed in the summer and very quiet off-season). But somehow they all have their own distinctive ambience and attract different tribes.
The party animals head for Mykonos, Ios, Paros.
Lovers of dramatic landscapes featuring ancient ruins make a beeline for Naxos.
Those who prefer a more low-key but sophisticated environment head for Folegandros and Sifnos.
Windsurfers go...well, anywhere, but mostly Paros and Mykonos.
Seekers of local customs head for Tinos, Sifnos, Anafi.
Campers and beach guitarists chill out in Amorgos, Anafi and the lesser Cyclades.
Off-the-beaten-trackers bemoan the presence of other tourists in Sikinos and Koufonissi.
Families congregate in Naxos, Sifnos, Milos, Kea, Kythnos.
Hikers prefer Naxos, Folegandros, Amorgos.
Beach bums go for Paros, Mykonos, Naxos.
Geology buffs prefer the exquisitely varied topography of volcanic Milos (when they’re not checking out the Santorini caldera).
Architecture enthusiasts explore the fascinating neoclassical city of Syros, Oia (Santorini), Kastro and Artemonas (Sifnos), and the main villages of Serifos and Folegandros.
Well-heeled Greeks build tasteful houses and attend exhibitions in Andros and Kea.
The world comes to gape at the caldera and salute the setting sun in Santorini.
So it’s very difficult for a dilettante like me to decide between all these different places. And even when I decide to dislike an island, it proves me wrong. For years I disparaged Paros as a Mykonos wannabe. But on my last trip there, I found the landscape enchanting, the villages charming, the beaches excellent, the food good, and the old church of Katapoliani worth a stopover in its own right. So there.
- Pros:Landscape, architecture, beaches, cool breezes
- Cons:Overstretched facilities in season
- In a nutshell:Few elements, great variety
I thought this was in the middle of nowhere when I arrived, driven there by one of the owners who picked me up at the... more travel advice
A peculiar form of sun-worship occurs in Santorini: every evening scores of people turn up in Oia (say EE-ah) to watch... more travel advice
IoannaE's Related Pages
Prefecture of the Cyclades Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Touring The Cyclades"
- "A trip round the Cyclades in low season"
- "Rock, sea and wind"
- "Sun, Sea and Souvla"
- "Sailing the Greek Islands"
- "Small Cyclades"
- "Vt Sailing trip: May 2007"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Hotels in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Transportation in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Nightlife in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Restaurants in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Shopping in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of the Cyclades
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Prefecture of the Cyclades?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of the Cyclades
Photos in Prefecture of the CycladesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Ghana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 17 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Chennai (Madras) Intro, 11 reviews, 5 photos
- Kochi Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Thanjavur 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Norway Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Thessaloniki Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Oslo 5 reviews, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Top Prefecture of the Cyclades hotels
- Santorini Island Hotels
- 1603 Reviews - 5129 Photos
- Mykonos Hotels
- 427 Reviews - 1012 Photos
- Oia Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 451 Photos
- Fira Hotels
- 114 Reviews - 493 Photos
- Naxos Island Hotels
- 289 Reviews - 813 Photos
- Syros Island Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 341 Photos
- Mykonos Island Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Ios Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Naxos - Chora (town of) Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 87 Photos
- Paros Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 367 Photos
- Andros Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Milos Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Nea Kameni Island Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Andros Island Hotels
- 60 Reviews - 148 Photos
- Paros Island Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 89 Photos