"Rock, sea and wind" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades by IoannaE

Prefecture of the Cyclades Travel Guide: 4,037 reviews and 12,308 photos

Ah, the Cyclades. Can't get enough of them.

I keep wanting to revisit the islands I've already enjoyed, but others beckon....

The thing is, they're all very similar: small, rocky, barren, windswept, with white-cube houses. (also, all are packed in the summer and very quiet off-season). But somehow they all have their own distinctive ambience and attract different tribes.

The party animals head for Mykonos, Ios, Paros.
Lovers of dramatic landscapes featuring ancient ruins make a beeline for Naxos.
Those who prefer a more low-key but sophisticated environment head for Folegandros and Sifnos.
Windsurfers go...well, anywhere, but mostly Paros and Mykonos.
Seekers of local customs head for Tinos, Sifnos, Anafi.
Campers and beach guitarists chill out in Amorgos, Anafi and the lesser Cyclades.
Off-the-beaten-trackers bemoan the presence of other tourists in Sikinos and Koufonissi.
Families congregate in Naxos, Sifnos, Milos, Kea, Kythnos.
Hikers prefer Naxos, Folegandros, Amorgos.
Beach bums go for Paros, Mykonos, Naxos.
Geology buffs prefer the exquisitely varied topography of volcanic Milos (when they’re not checking out the Santorini caldera).
Architecture enthusiasts explore the fascinating neoclassical city of Syros, Oia (Santorini), Kastro and Artemonas (Sifnos), and the main villages of Serifos and Folegandros.
Well-heeled Greeks build tasteful houses and attend exhibitions in Andros and Kea.
The world comes to gape at the caldera and salute the setting sun in Santorini.

So it’s very difficult for a dilettante like me to decide between all these different places. And even when I decide to dislike an island, it proves me wrong. For years I disparaged Paros as a Mykonos wannabe. But on my last trip there, I found the landscape enchanting, the villages charming, the beaches excellent, the food good, and the old church of Katapoliani worth a stopover in its own right. So there.

• Pros:Landscape, architecture, beaches, cool breezes
  • Cons:Overstretched facilities in season
  • In a nutshell:Few elements, great variety
  • Last visit to Prefecture of the Cyclades: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2005

• kat-m's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 6:56 AM

I am enjoying the vt tips of the cyclades, going to paros in september, may take your advice if I dont like it I will move on, but I cant imagine an island I dont like! Kalo taxidi.

• Jan 24, 2005 at 6:41 AM

Good tips!

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 9:59 AM

Hi, welcome on board - great start - Xronia Polla !

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 11:56 AM

You picked out my two favourite islands: Naxos and Amorgos, which I visited, when there was no campground at all and the farmers would let us use their grounds!! Wonderful page!

IoannaE

“Tout est perdu sauf le bonheur”

Badges & Stats in Prefecture of the Cyclades

Have you been to Prefecture of the Cyclades?

Latest Activity in Prefecture of the Cyclades