"Chennai disowns Madras" Chennai (Madras) by IoannaE
Chennai (Madras) Travel Guide: 433 reviews and 867 photos
A few days before flying to Chennai I came across a weblog in which a young man pondered the effects of the city's name change. He concluded that it was a good thing because the town's much more fun as Chennai than it ever was as Madras. I'm no judge of the local nightlife, but certainly in many other ways the city has changed drastically.
Ten or twelve years ago guidebooks to Madras described it as a charming city with a slower pace than the Northern towns, full of old mansions and green spaces. Well, the pace has become much more hectic, the old mansions are being demolished at an unseemly pace to make way for even more highrises, and flyovers and billboards disfigure or conceal many (formerly?) green spaces. Pollution, especially noise pollution, is diabolical, and despite all the new roadworks very little provision is made for pedestrians. Having to dodge Chennai's traffic is nobody’s idea of relaxing and everyone’s of scary!
This fast pace of 'development' is largely due to the IT revolution. Economic change has certainly brought increased prosperity to Chennai, but I don't think it's made much difference to the poor. You need only make a detour off a main street in central Chennai to come across a poor neighborhood or slum.
That said, you shouldn’t just head straight out of town once you get here (although it might make sense to do just that, spending a few days there just before you leave South India to see the town and do some shopping).
The museum has, among other treasures, a fabulous collection of Chola bronzes, impressively displayed to boot; many beautiful colonial-era public buildings have survived; the Kapaleeshwar temple can serve as an introduction to Dravidian temple architecture and ambience; and for all the frenzied modernity Chennai is still the cultural capital of the Tamils– that is, the cultural capital of a very old and very rich culture. On no account miss the annual music festival, held here in December-January; and check the local papers (cultural pages in The Hindu) to catch performances all year round if you have the slightest interest in classical music and dance.
And remember, when the heat, traffic and noise get too much, there’s always Marina Beach….
- Pros:Cultural capital of South India
- Cons:Noise, traffic, heat
I had your average tourist's reaction on hearing we were going out for sushi in Chennai 'umm, no raw fish for me,... more travel advice
Marina Beach is enormous - 13 km long and very wide (some people who saw my photos thought it was a desert!). Madras was... more travel advice
IoannaE's Related Pages
Chennai (Madras) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chennai Revisited"
- "CHENNAI ( MADRAS)- GATEWAY OF SOUTH INDIA."
- "Chennai- Culture intact"
- "Madras-Cultural capital of India."
- "Chennai (Madras)"
- "Cheers Chennai"
- "Chennai - Conservative yet Modern"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chennai (Madras)
- Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
- Transportation in Chennai (Madras)
- Nightlife in Chennai (Madras)
- Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
- Shopping in Chennai (Madras)
- Warnings and Dangers in Chennai (Madras)
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chennai (Madras)
- 11 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Chennai (Madras)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chennai (Madras)
Photos in Chennai (Madras)See All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Ghana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 17 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Chennai (Madras) Intro, 11 reviews, 5 photos
- Kochi Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Thanjavur 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Norway Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Thessaloniki Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Oslo 5 reviews, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Chennai (Madras) hotel reviews
- Hotel Emerald Park
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2013
- Hotel Mount Heera
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- YWCA Guest House
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Taj Connemara Hotel
- 332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Manhattan Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Shylee Niwas Service Apartment (Anna Nagar)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Nandhini Palace
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 21, 2012
- Hotel Shan Royal
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Quality Hotel Sabari Classic
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Radha Park Inn Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Buharis Blue Lagoon Resort
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- The Spring Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Nakshatra Serviced Apartments
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013