Grand Bahama Island Local Custom Tips by Winch Top 5 Page for this destination
Grand Bahama Island Local Customs: 9 reviews and 6 photos
Your US dollars are welcome in the Bahamas (the Bahamian dollar is always on par with $US). But if you get change in Bahamian currency, be sure to exchange it for US money before you go home, because you won't be able to spend those pretty banknotes with Queen Elizabeth's portrait in the States.
Bahamians are largely conservative. Hot as it can get, it is not unusual to see men in ties and women in long, colorful dresses. Bathing suits are not proper attire in town, and you will be treated hostilely if you try it. Everything is closed on Sundays because everyone is in church. (Note: Services here can last over 3 hours at some churches.)
All beaches in the Bahamas are open to the public. No hotel/private owner can toss you off "their" beach. There are no topless/nude beaches on GBI. Even if you find an empty stretch where you can indulge, remember that the police frown upon such displays.
You'll find familiar American stores in Lucaya and downtown Freeport: Winn-Dixie, Grand Union and Burger King for example. But prepare yourself for the prices, usually 50% higher than US stores. On the other hand, the Bahamas has no sales taxes.
As a rule of thumb, you will find the friendliest, most helpful Bahamians either in the tourist enclaves or the smallest villages. In downtown, you will be treated indifferently, at best. People move slowly here, so expect grocery check-outs or dinner orders to take twice as long as back home. Most restaurants add 15% to your check, one reason servers have no incentive to speed things up; they'll get their tip whether they earn it or not.
Avoid the "rude boys", who dress like American gang-bangers. They want your money and will try to sell you something illegal (usually fake). As if you were in a big city, don't flash your cash around, secure your vehicle at all times, and lock your doors.
More Reviews (10)
- See All A Beachin' Getaway/Deadman's Reef
- Nightlife? Wrong Island
- See All Essentials
- International Bazaar
Winch's Related Pages
Grand Bahama Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Islands of the Bahamas: Freeport/Lucaya"
- "Welcome to Grand Bahama Island"
- "Freeport/Lucaya and Grand Bahama"
- "Fabulous Freeport"
- "Freeport Grand Bahama"
- "Grand Bahama Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Bahama Island
- Hotels in Grand Bahama Island
- Transportation in Grand Bahama Island
- Nightlife in Grand Bahama Island
- Restaurants in Grand Bahama Island
- Shopping in Grand Bahama Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Bahama Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Runcorn Hotels
- Raglan Hotels
- Saint Martin Hotels
- Tutuala Hotels
- Sheldrake Springs
- Rakhine State
Badges & Stats in Grand Bahama Island
- 11 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Grand Bahama Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Bahama Island
Top 10 Pages
- Seaside Heights Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Key West Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Negril Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Bahama Island Intro, 11 reviews, 2 photos
- Virginia Beach Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Runaway Bay Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Islamorada Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Tampa 1 review, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solomons Island Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Woodbridge Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Grand Bahama Island hotel reviews