"Beijing" Beijing by kdoc13
Beijing Travel Guide: 6,463 reviews and 16,200 photos
Not half as scary as a communist nation might seem to be. Sure there is the overall feeling of opression, but there is no angry mob of little red book waving culture police. This is a modern metropolis, and one of the nicest ones I have yet to see. I loved Beijing and would go back in a heartbeat.
The people of Beijing are very friendly, surprisingly towards Americans too. If you are polite and kind, they respond. I showed up at a time when our Navy and their Air Force bumped planes, and it was also the anniversary of the Tienanmen Sq. Massacre. Not happy times, but I was welcomed with open arms, and made many friends.
There are parts of Beijing which just show you that they want to be modern and full of flash. But there aren't enough trees and the smog and dust storms can choke you. Plus where there is poverty, it is terrible poverty. Overall though, there is a feeling of hope for the future, and excitement about the Olympics. I would reccomend Beijing to any traveler.
- Pros:Very metropolitan, when it wants to be.
- Cons:There is a feeling that Tienanmen 2 is about to happen at any second.
- In a nutshell:Still thrid world, but a nice combination of modern touches to make it enjoyable.
If you have read my other pages you will know by now that this comes up on almost each one, and Beijing is no different.... more travel advice
Being an American with a large gut and a penhant for loving room service, I was quite surprised to see the amount of... more travel advice
kdoc13's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 18 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 59 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 53 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Cincinnati Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canton Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'anmunjom-ni Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- North Canton Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos