"Beijing" Beijing by kdoc13

Beijing Travel Guide: 6,338 reviews and 15,979 photos

Beijing.

Not half as scary as a communist nation might seem to be. Sure there is the overall feeling of opression, but there is no angry mob of little red book waving culture police. This is a modern metropolis, and one of the nicest ones I have yet to see. I loved Beijing and would go back in a heartbeat.

The people of Beijing are very friendly, surprisingly towards Americans too. If you are polite and kind, they respond. I showed up at a time when our Navy and their Air Force bumped planes, and it was also the anniversary of the Tienanmen Sq. Massacre. Not happy times, but I was welcomed with open arms, and made many friends.

There are parts of Beijing which just show you that they want to be modern and full of flash. But there aren't enough trees and the smog and dust storms can choke you. Plus where there is poverty, it is terrible poverty. Overall though, there is a feeling of hope for the future, and excitement about the Olympics. I would reccomend Beijing to any traveler.

• Pros:Very metropolitan, when it wants to be.
  • Cons:There is a feeling that Tienanmen 2 is about to happen at any second.
  • In a nutshell:Still thrid world, but a nice combination of modern touches to make it enjoyable.
  • Last visit to Beijing: Jul 2001
  • Intro Written May 10, 2004

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Great personal slogan!

• Oct 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well Said. A prayer for the lost students would be in order.

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Very nice and interesting tips !!!!!

• Feb 7, 2006 at 9:22 AM

I agree, the carpeting were visibly dirty, but other than that - no compliants. Overall, a very nice hotel.

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 1:32 AM

Now that scam on Chinese medicine is new! Do they only do that to non-Asians? Hope that had not given Chinese medicine a bad name in your eyes! Nice pages; hope to make my way to Beijing one day. It's only time. Cheers!

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2005 at 4:37 AM

Really great page Kevin. Makes me think I need to get my beijing page done finally: I was there to see in the millennium. Am off to see what other delights you have in store on your travel pages.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 6:13 PM

Really enjoyed your writing about your personal experiences here! This is the first I've heard of that Sacred Road. My dad is visiting here soon and I'm quite envious!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 7:57 AM

want to be here someday :) thanks for sharing. a great page!!!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 11:10 PM

Interesting page about my favourite city!!!

• alycat's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 8:48 PM

Tiananmen Square snap still gives the jitters!! Terrific and extensive effort on the toilets, hohohoho, funny man

kdoc13

“Just because you are American doesn't make you better than the locals”

Badges & Stats in Beijing

Have you been to Beijing?

Latest Activity in Beijing