"Dayton Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton by kdoc13
Dayton Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 800 photos
Dayton, Ohio. A little slice of hell along the Great Miami River, which happens to be my hometown.
It also happens to be the home of the Wright Brothers (yeah, North Carolina, we know, you had wind) the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum, and not much else. I don't want to say that there is nothing in Dayton, or nothing to do here, but let's face it, this isn't New York.
I have built a few pages for Dayton to help visitors out with the nightlife, sites, and places to eat in the area. Please let me know if there is any other information needed.
The main things to see are the Wright Patterson Air Force Base, The Wright Historical Village, Sunwatch Indian village, and Carillon Park.
Wright Patterson AFB is home to the museum, which contains US and a few foreign military aircraft, including a few space vessels and a large collection of former presidential aircraft. The presidential aircraft are located in a remote wing of the museum. A bus is available to take you over, but the wing closes one hour before the rest of the museum. For JFK fans, his plane is there and the information about it and what was done to it after the assasination is interesting.
Everything in Dayton seems to be about the Wright Brothers. You can't go two feet without some reference. Part of Dayton's drive for tourism is the recreation of the Wright Village. It is in a terrible part of town and contains a restored Wright Brothers Bicycle shop, and other period buildings. None of which ever seem to be open. Call ahead, you may find an open time.
Sunwatch is an Indian settlement which was discovered by Archaeolgy students from the University of Dayton in the 1970's. Like most smart people, the Indians left. And like most people, they left their litter. You too can pay to see broken pots, recreated log homes, and experience the same Great Miami River smell which drove them away.
Carillon Park. Finally something good to talk about. The park is just what it is, a park. But, during the summer it is the home to numerous festivals and activities. A great place to lie in the sun and get a tan, or a place to take the kids to see historic buildings (often originals moved there from their original locations), and an actual Wright Brothers plane!
Finally, there are a few other things to see. The river fountains, when they work, are very cool. five fountains spray water over the river to form a mist, then on Friday nights, there is a laser show on the mist. There is a farmers market, the dayton dragons minor league baseball club, and in nearby Yellow Springs, John Bryant State park.
- Pros:Not really as bad as you think.
- Cons:Not much to do here.
- In a nutshell:To borrow a quote from from Roger Clemmons, the best thing about Dayton is the view of it in the rearview mirror.
Do not be alarmed if someone calls you Bubba or Sugah. For some reason, people from Kentucky all decided to move north... more travel advice
Well, let's just say ol' Kdoc hasn't stayed there overnight. But when there was someone who was awfully close to being... more travel advice
kdoc13's Related Pages
Dayton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dayton Ohio"
- "Dayton - Home of the Brothers Wright"
- "Dayton, Ohio"
- "National Museum of the United States Air Force"
- "Dayton: the city of my college years - GO UD!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dayton
- Hotels in Dayton
- Transportation in Dayton
- Nightlife in Dayton
- Restaurants in Dayton
- Shopping in Dayton
- Warnings and Dangers in Dayton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dayton
- 33 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dayton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dayton
Photos in DaytonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 59 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 53 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Cincinnati Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canton Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'anmunjom-ni Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- North Canton Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos