"Dayton Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Dayton by kdoc13

Dayton Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 800 photos

Dayton - General Info

Dayton, Ohio. A little slice of hell along the Great Miami River, which happens to be my hometown.
It also happens to be the home of the Wright Brothers (yeah, North Carolina, we know, you had wind) the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum, and not much else. I don't want to say that there is nothing in Dayton, or nothing to do here, but let's face it, this isn't New York.
I have built a few pages for Dayton to help visitors out with the nightlife, sites, and places to eat in the area. Please let me know if there is any other information needed.

Sites.

The main things to see are the Wright Patterson Air Force Base, The Wright Historical Village, Sunwatch Indian village, and Carillon Park.
Wright Patterson AFB is home to the museum, which contains US and a few foreign military aircraft, including a few space vessels and a large collection of former presidential aircraft. The presidential aircraft are located in a remote wing of the museum. A bus is available to take you over, but the wing closes one hour before the rest of the museum. For JFK fans, his plane is there and the information about it and what was done to it after the assasination is interesting.
Everything in Dayton seems to be about the Wright Brothers. You can't go two feet without some reference. Part of Dayton's drive for tourism is the recreation of the Wright Village. It is in a terrible part of town and contains a restored Wright Brothers Bicycle shop, and other period buildings. None of which ever seem to be open. Call ahead, you may find an open time.
Sunwatch is an Indian settlement which was discovered by Archaeolgy students from the University of Dayton in the 1970's. Like most smart people, the Indians left. And like most people, they left their litter. You too can pay to see broken pots, recreated log homes, and experience the same Great Miami River smell which drove them away.
Carillon Park. Finally something good to talk about. The park is just what it is, a park. But, during the summer it is the home to numerous festivals and activities. A great place to lie in the sun and get a tan, or a place to take the kids to see historic buildings (often originals moved there from their original locations), and an actual Wright Brothers plane!
Finally, there are a few other things to see. The river fountains, when they work, are very cool. five fountains spray water over the river to form a mist, then on Friday nights, there is a laser show on the mist. There is a farmers market, the dayton dragons minor league baseball club, and in nearby Yellow Springs, John Bryant State park.

• Pros:Not really as bad as you think.
  • Cons:Not much to do here.
  • In a nutshell:To borrow a quote from from Roger Clemmons, the best thing about Dayton is the view of it in the rearview mirror.
  • Last visit to Dayton: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2004

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I used to live in the Dayton area! My daughter Shelby was born there!

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM

I am going to a cousin's wedding in Dayton, so I was "researching"........just wanted to say I LOVE your writing style, you are so funny and I enjoyed reading your tips!!!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I've got a conference in Dayton later this month, so your page really helps.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Enjoyed your tips--amusing writing and good info. My DH recently retired from the AF and Wright-Patt is the closest base to us. We may be making use of your tips next weekend.... Thanks!

• Steph6150's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Hey there, I found this really funny since I moved from Wset Milton(Dayton Area), OH last Aug. to Florida. This is so true of this quasi southern, no jobs, "hick" town, but I've found Rednecks are everywhere!!

• Feb 12, 2007 at 8:26 AM

i echo Gymeni's statement - LONG LIVE DAYTON'S WEST SIDE, i was born and raised in Dayton View. i can't get back b/c all our jobs got sold overseas; as a result the people and the economy have really suffered. i look forward to 2008 AND our renaissance!

• queencreekfreak's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Love your Dayton pages. I'm a former resident of OND (Old North Dayton). Your photo of flying pizza made me crazy!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 3:35 AM

Happy birthday from NJ. I would beg to differ that the bad drivers came from Kentucky. I would've guessed they came from here...but wait...they're still here! Shucks!

• May 10, 2006 at 11:53 AM

LONG LIVE DAYTON'S WEST SIDE (where I was born and raised). Hook's BBQ and Shield's BBQ on the West side are the best! And don't forget about Dayton's Cassano's Pizza, period. I miss it.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 4:53 AM

my co-worker is from east dayton. he said that was bad enough but the west side? oh boy! not to mention his uncle rolled through there with the confederate flag on his pickup window :-x

kdoc13

“Just because you are American doesn't make you better than the locals”

Badges & Stats in Dayton