"Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!" Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul by kdoc13

Seoul Travel Guide: 3,050 reviews and 7,527 photos

The Land Of The Morning Calm.

I will start by saying that there are much better pages about Seoul than I could come up with. Although, my travel tips tend to be a bit different from some of the others that post on VT. Be sure to pay a visit to Bobbyland, the home of ClarkRB and visit his page for Seoul. It is quite informative. That being said, I love Seoul. I love Korea. It is probably the place I am most at home at when I am outside the USA and sometimes I am even more at home there.

Lets start with the weather. Korea has four distinct seasons. So for people like me who miss the snow, and love spring and fall, it is great. Summer can be a bit warm, and very rainy too. But when the sun shines, it is just like Southern California's skies, minus much of the LA smog.

The people. I think the Korean people are among the friendliest in Asia. I have yet to go there and not make a new friend. You will hear people say that it is hard to do so. Really it is all a matter of attitude and making the effort to get to know people's customs, language and culture. Once you do that, you are in like Flynn. Sure, there are those who will only want to be around you because they are trying to practice English, or want you to buy them drinks, or because they are looking for a husband. Most Koreans have a view about Americans which they get from TV, Movies, and the ugly American's who seem to cause trouble around the country. Be different, be polite and respectful and you will get along just fine.

The people of Korea are very strong. Both in their will, and their indipendance. It is best not to say anything negative about Korea when you are there. It will be taken as an insult. I have watched people get booted out of restaurants and bars for saying or wearing things that are taken as Anti-Korean. Even as scary as North Korea is, I have found that unless you are agreeing with a Korean's point on it, your's is not really seen as important or required. This changes as you are more accepted.

You will also hear stories of kids saying hello to you and laughing (as if it were a joke to talk to a westerner), or hear of stories of insults flying at westerners with Korean girlfriends. It's no lie to say it happens, but it has been my experience that it is happening less and less.

Places to go, people to see.

There are actually a ton of things to do in the Seoul area. The usual historic temples, war zones, shopping, nightclubs, and other stuff. There are also a lot of off the beaten path places, and places just a bit outside Seoul worth the time and effort to go see.

Meet Kdoc!

Greetings fellow Travelers, I get to be in Seoul from June 13th to August 7th. If you would like to meet me for an ice cold OB, or something, send me an e-mail to say hi.

• Pros:A great metropolitan community with excitement and adventure.
  • Cons:A bit overcrowded at times, and can be a bit racist to non-Koreans
  • In a nutshell:Still my favorite place on earth!
  • Last visit to Seoul: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2005

• Sep 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Will be in Seoul from 19th Sep week while wife attend business meetings. Great pics but still unsure what to do during the daytime. Thanks.

• xymmot's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 10:38 PM

good tips, I love Korea also and enjoy reading your column. My experience there during the world cup 2002 made me want to stay like you. I made friends there and have return. Hopefully I can put it in my schedule again when I travel the far east.

• Nov 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Spot Nightclub, Club I, Pharaoh Nightclub, and Interface Nightclub are pretty good. Mool Nightclub is ehh... cuz the people there are more older :s

• Jan 16, 2008 at 1:01 PM

We we standing above on the second floor at North Korean side, a group of Dutch tourists, and waving to the group standing on the other side, hoping for a nice feeling of friendship of peoples. Nobody waved back from there!

• Jul 16, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Samgyup-sal means three layer flesh for those interested, and Mok-sal is neck meat from the pig, it's like a breakfast prk chop, jeju-do pigs are the best pork when available.

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Many of your tips will come in very handy! :) Great detailed page on Seoul! Thanks for sharing!

• Oct 15, 2006 at 10:17 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Great Seoul tips! You just gave e a few more places to see on my next visit. But if you haven't been back since 2004, you've missed a lot of changes (for the good).

• trek06's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM

Hey Kevin, great tips. I'll check them out when I am there in April!

• Prokonich's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM

That is the best web-site about real Seoul! I've been there many times but it is always confusing to me :-)

kdoc13

“Just because you are American doesn't make you better than the locals”

Badges & Stats in Seoul