"Welcome to my Place and Home Town " Preston by mustertal

Preston Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 45 photos

Preston in Lancashire, my Birthplace

PRESTON in Lancashire

The Newest City in England

The place of my birth, and just 7 miles away from my home!
I thought it was time to start working on my home town of Preston ,Lancashire UK.
Then I thought well who on Earth would want know about Preston !!!

After giving it much thought, I realised, after living here for 40 odd years, I really know very little about my City, the town I grew up in.
As a child Preston had a thriving dockland's, now in it's place there is a smart new Marina, with restaurant's, fancy apartment block's and shops.

It was the home of industrial cotton mill's, once a thriving industry, and now, these Cotton Mills have either been destroyed or turned into accommodation, or housing retail shop's.
Where once you would find row's and row's of smart terraced houses, you will now find a ring road and a retail park.
The town is being regenerated after getting City status in 2003.
Coffee shop's, shopping center's and trendy bar's, are all springing up. The skyline is changing and bringing a new freshness into the City.
The Old "Polly" as the Polytechnic was know, is now an ever growing University.

A statue to our most famous footballing son, Sir Tom Finney adorns the front of the oldest football team in England, PNE.

Thing's that have stayed the same are the fabulous
Harris Museum/Library and Art gallery.
The Victorian Railway station.
The open Market and the Old Flag market.
The Court house and Town Hall

Preston is the administrative Capitol of Lancashire. County Hall is
a fine building, to the South of Preston.

Miller and Avenham park overlook the River Ribble which runs through Preston into the Irish Sea.

Did you know

Did you know that Preston had the first stretch of Motorway in the country, opened by the, then, transport minister, Mr Ernest Marple's.
It was just a 5 mile stretch of motorway when first built, people went on trip's up and down the Motorway it was a novelty.

Once every 20 years the Preston Guild is held, 2 week's of festival 's, Art and culture. The last one was in 1992 the next one will be in 2012, so make a note in your Diary.

The first and only National Football Museum is in Preston at the Preston North End football ground.

The City motto is

"Proud Preston"
The City Emblen is a sitting Lamb.

Famous Prestonions.
Richard Arkwright
Inventor of the Water Frame in Preston*.

John Horrocks
Established the first Cotton Mill here in 1786*

Edith Rigby
Suffragette, who burned down Lord Leverhulmes bungalow*

Sir Tom Finney
Known as the "Preston Plumber", a Footballer for England and Preston and a lovely man*.

Nick Parks
Animator of Wallace and Grommit. I knew his dad* !

Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff
Cricketer played in the team that regained the "Ashes" and the first person to get the freedom of the new City*.

Professor Sir George Grenfell Baines
Architect / town planner, and my old boss*.

Five of Preston's Parks have just received awards, there is an advert that says "Preston is my Paris" filmed in the beautiful Miller Park, in the town centre.
Major evens such as Snooker and indoor bowls are held here in the Guild Hall.
www.visitlancashire.com/site/destination-guide/preston

Clayton -le- Woods my home.

CLAYTON-le-WOODS
You must have past through it at sometime, but ,you've never stopped here , this is the place I have lived for 25 years.

It isn't a pretty village, and most people just pass through without knowing it's there, or stop off en route to the Lakes, Blackpool or further afield.
Development over the last 20 years has changed the face of Clayton-le-Woods, we now merge into the neighbouring villages of Whittle, and Leyland, Leyland being the home of the famous Leyland Truck builders.

It's just 10 miles south of Preston,25 miles north of Manchester and 25 miles North East of Liverpool.
Over the last few years it has been the fastest growing Village in Lancashire. It is situated on 3 motorway junction's, so it's a popular choice for commuters to Manchester and Liverpool.
The Village was once just farm's and farm land and the small cottage I live in was, up until 1805 an old forge serving the farm's and also the horses that pulled the carriages which ran between Manchester and Scotland, until it was converted into 4 tiny cottages in1895. So maybe one of the oldest houses in the area.
There is an old coaching Inn called the Red Cat, which is now a lovely Olde Worlde Pub with Lot's of character, and still has many original old features .
So what do we have ?

Well, we have Cuerden Valley Park which is a vast wild park land, a library, supermarket, leisure centre and plenty of hotels.
There is Camelot theme park.
Nearby Chorley, is a quiet market town.
Botany Bay an Antiques and craft centre .
There is a large Mormon Temple and school, that dominates the skyline, the largest one in Europe.

• Last visit to Preston: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2013

• gwendar's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

GREAT INFO ON PRESTON

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Looking forward to having a look round your nearest city of Preston very soon. Nice pages!

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I must have been through Preston by train hundreds of times, but have never visited the town. Now I know there's a football museum my husband will certainly want to go. Cheers, Irene

• mustertal's Profile Photo
      Dec 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Thank you for visiting my Preston page Irene,unfortunately the Museum has now moved to Manchester.

• Maxus's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I hope you're having a great Guild - mine's been really good so far, we're about to set off to watch the torchlight procession. Regards, Mark

• mustertal's Profile Photo
      Sep 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Enjoy the procession, I was going to go only m boss got a Guild Burgess award this morning, so she took me out to celebrate ! Fireworks tomorrow,looking forward to that.

• Maxus's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM

The torchlight procession was the high point of the Guild for me - fabulous

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

great page, margaret. would like to visit you someday. and those cones, lovely *we like to go to m & s in london at the weekend and ended with lots of eateries, hahaha *

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Interesting as I had a penfriend in Preston when I was going to high school back home in NZ many years ago! and she wrote saying she wanted to commit suicide and I never heard from her again! :( - years later I read Preston had the highest suicide rates in the UK! lovely pics as usual though Margaret to show the interesting things about your location - and the egg rolling sounds very intersting!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Hi Margaret, good that you have posted some tips (or are they called reviews now?) on your home town. A colleague of mine used to go to Chorley every summer, so I heard a lot about it at the time.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Off to Croatia early Sat...Thanks for your friendship. Marg

mustertal Lives Here!

mustertal

“Don't forget your camera and a pen !”

Badges & Stats in Preston

Have you been to Preston?

Latest Activity in Preston