"Staufen in Breisgau. Black Forest" Staufen im Breisgau by mustertal
Staufen im Breisgau Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 80 photos
Staufen and Munstertal twin villages see here:
You most visit this little town,before it crumbles, note the cracks between the Town Hall and the cafe. This is due to the thermal water rising upwards under the town. To find out more check out the news on the Staufen link below. Then go and drink a little of their wine, eat the great kuchen and simply just relax
This pretty wine village at the foot of the lower Black Forest, is just some 20 mile's south of Freiburg, and it's such a delightfully unexpected little place to spend some time in. Full of friendly people, delightful shops, cobbled streets and wonderful food and wine !
Please DO take the time to explore it's pedestrianised cobbled street's, with it's very colourful flower displays and it's pretty window boxes, also stop off at one of the many coffee houses for koffee und Kuchen or sample the local wine at the wine bar.
To me this is just a very relaxing, magical place.
There is a wine co-operative to the West of Staufen, where you can sample some of local wine , or even take a tour of the wine cellars,. In September try the Nuer Susser wine usually very sweet and rough, along with some schwiebel Kuchen, made from the new onions harvested around the Sept/October time, a wonderful combination, or simply go wine tasting round the many wine Keller's. You will find there is a nice walk up through the vine yards to the Castle at the top of the hill.
Sit round the wine bar at the bottom of the Castle hill on a lazy Sunday afternoon and people watch.
Through out the summer month's various festival's are held, and this sleepy village is transformed into a picture of colour and activity.
September is the start of the Wine festivals in the area. They have a local Beer festival which is held in the Shooting lodge at Dietzelbach on the Munstertal road.
The tourist office in the Rathaus, and has plenty of information on the area and on cycle hire and walks in different languages.
Staufen is beautifully placed for visits to the Alsace region of France, only 15 miles away, and don't forget Switzerland, it isn't much further, 30 minutes on the motorway.
Plus take a ride into the beautiful Black Forest, to Feldberg the highest point in the area, plus Belschen for some magnificent views. Glass blowing and waterfalls at Todtnau. See the Rhine falls at Schaffhausen or paddle in the sauce of the Danube at St Martins nr Donaueshingen.
The famous Schladerer Schnapps are made here in Staufen, and if you can, try a visit to the distillery, tours are arranged usually on a Tuesday morning. They also have a small shop selling their schnapps and other brews, plus some very nice gift idea's. Try some of their other liquors, the St Vincent is a very nice aperitif . The main car park is just out side the distillery, Staufen has plenty of parking places.
Goethe's Faust story is based on legend, which, pre-dates the Christian religion.
It is the story of good triumphing over evil.
It takes place in many venue's, one of these being Staufen in Breisgau, chosen because of it's close proximity to Feldberg, the highest point in Germany,and the mythological significance of the area.
There is a local drink called Belchen Geist, you set fire to it before drinking, this is said to let the ghost out ! This is all to do with the Faust legend.
This is reported to be, the 3rd Oldest Gasthaus in Germany, and it has many fine typical Black Forest features, built on... more travel advice
Every year at the end of September, Staufen holds a couple of big festivals, this year (05)Stages was all about the... more travel advice
Written Jul 27, 2010
Meeting VT friends
Written Feb 20, 2011
Visit now before it's to late,
mustertal's Related Pages
Staufen im Breisgau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Staufen in Breisgau. Black Forest"
- "Staufen - Fauststadt im Breisgau"
- "A Furry VT Meeting in Staufen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staufen im Breisgau
- Hotels in Staufen im Breisgau
- Transportation in Staufen im Breisgau
- Nightlife in Staufen im Breisgau
- Restaurants in Staufen im Breisgau
- Shopping in Staufen im Breisgau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staufen im Breisgau
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Staufen im Breisgau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staufen im Breisgau
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Is it time again?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "No disco's, no Karaoke just relax."
- updated a Staufen im Breisgau Travel Page "Staufen in Breisgau. Black Forest"
- Commented on one of Russell_the_Wombat's Staufen im Breisgau travel pages
- Wrote a Review 3rd Oldest in Germany in Staufen im Breisgau Hotels
Photos in Staufen im BreisgauSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 51 reviews, 102 photos
- Staufen im Breisgau Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Germany Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salou Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- Lytham Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pals Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Largentière Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auxerre Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
Latest Staufen im Breisgau hotel reviews
- Fauststube Im LÃ¶wen
- 1 Review & Opinion