"Isla de Lanzarote" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote by mustertal
Isla de Lanzarote Travel Guide: 883 reviews and 1,795 photos
The Land of Volcanoes and sunshine.
Volcanoes erupted on this beautiful little Island for over 7 years, causing much devastation, so this is what helped form the Island into what we see today.
Lanzarote has an all year round warm climate, sometimes, with very strong wind's, but, this can be quite welcoming in the hot summer sun.
Unlike some of the other Canary Islands, it's beaches are mainly sandy, albeit imported sand.
Volcano's dominate the Island, and can make it look very stark, as there is very little greenery apart from the ever increasing Palm trees. Tall Palm tree's grow everywhere, and many are protected.
There are three main resorts, Puerto del Carmen, Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca, other places are now developing, like the marina at Puerto Calero, there you can take a submarine ride. Development is still taking place all over the island, and it's all in keeping with the Canarian style.
You can dine on the top of a Volcano, ride a Camel, take a boat trip out to see Dolphin's, visit volcanic cave's or just lay back and take in the sun.
Lanzarote is a Volcanic Island, not as developed as it's other Canarian neighbours and building is strictly regulated.
Places to see,
There is a weekly craft market in the old capitol of Tegiuse on a Sunday morning, but , be warned it is very busy. Trip's across to the neighbouring Island of Fuerteventura go from Puerto- del- Carmen or Playa Blanca, if you are lucky, Dolphin's and flying fish can be spotted en route.
There is something for everyone on this beautiful Island.
You can't go to Lanzarote without knowing a little something about Cesar Manrique. He didn't want his beloved island of Lanzarote being developed like it's close neighbours.
Known as the architect of the island, he laid down plan's and guidelines, stating, that, buildings must be no higher than the palm tree's, house's should be painted white, with the shutter's being, blue, white or brown, depending on how close to the sea they are.
He used the natural elements to create tourist attraction's. Volcanic bubble's became caves, an old quarry was turned into the lovely Cactus gardens. His large Mobile's and monuments can be found all over the island.
The Foundation Cesar Manrique, was set up after his death, and they still continue with his work today, this has helped to keep this little island the unique place it is.
His own house, was built in a volcanic bubble, and is open to the public.
Sadly he was killed in a car accident just a few yard's away from his home, but his work and ideas still go on to this day.
- Pros:Plenty of sunshine, no high rise buildings and good beaches.
- Cons:Sales men
- In a nutshell:I love it, laid back and friendly.
The Water bus to Puerto Calero from the old harbour in Puerto del Carmen, is a twenty minute ride down the coast and you... more travel advice
La Bohemia is a very popular restaurant and soon fills up with diners. It is a small place with a good atmosphere. The... more travel advice
- See All Castillo De San Jose
- See All Emergency Numbers
- La Graciosa
- See All Golf
mustertal's Related Pages
Isla de Lanzarote Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hola Amigos!"
- "Isla de Lanzarote"
- "The Colors of Lanzarote: piku's memory card"
- "Rachel suns Lanzarote page"
- "Isla de Lanzarote"
- "Lanzarote - all year sunshine (usually!)"
- "Lanzarote - a fiery island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Lanzarote
- Hotels in Isla de Lanzarote
- Transportation in Isla de Lanzarote
- Nightlife in Isla de Lanzarote
- Restaurants in Isla de Lanzarote
- Shopping in Isla de Lanzarote
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Lanzarote
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Lanzarote
- 51 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 77 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Isla de Lanzarote?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Lanzarote
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: To lighten your day "
- Commented on one of mustertal's Isla de Lanzarote travel pages
- Wrote a Review Water Bus/Taxi in Isla de Lanzarote Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Water Bus/Taxi"
- updated a Isla de Lanzarote Travel Page "Isla de Lanzarote"
- Uploaded a Video to Isla de Lanzarote
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 51 reviews, 102 photos
- Staufen im Breisgau Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Germany Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salou Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Preston Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lytham Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pals Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Largentière Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos