"Salou" Top 5 Page for this destination Salou by mustertal

Salou Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 301 photos

Salou..............what I thought !

Salou is on the Spanish Costa Dorada. I did have preconceived ideas of what it would be like..................British bars, fish n chips, high raised buildings and drunkards.
"Why am I going there" I asked myself, " is it just for the warm weather ? will that be enough to have a good break " ?

What I found

I couldn't have been more wrong. Yes, it does have some of the above, but not in abundance as I had thought, there are some tall buildings, but, not more than 4 or 5 storeys high, apart from an odd one.
The beaches were beautiful, with white sand, stretching for a couple of miles.
What I liked most, was the long wide promenade that ran the along side the beach, it was lined with fountains and Palm trees, giving plenty of shade.
This is a family resort, and it was very much a mixed bag of people from all over Europe.

That was what I thought last year.
This year I saw a very different Salou. I went there a little earlier than last year, and it was much busier than before. I was surprised to see so many beggars and drunken people on the street. I was put off a little, but the area I stayed in was nice and quiet, so, the area to avoid, is the busy part towards Cap Salou.

Disabled Travelers

Salou has two parts to it, the Cambrils end, right through to the old town which is very flat. The part from the old town to Cap Salou is really quite hilly and steep in places.
There's no problem going along the sea front, but on the opposite side of the road the pavements can be narrow and with trees growing through the paving stones, this can make it difficult to pass, so go with care.
Some shop are not accessible unless you can manage a few steps, but on the whole it is disabled friendly.

• Pros:Lovely Beaches
  • Cons:Very Busy
  • Last visit to Salou: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2010

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Me again, coming back for another look at your Salou tips, which I haven't looked at since January 2008. I went down that coast on a bicycle once (a long time ago!), on my way to Valencia where they lost most of the orange crop because of the frost.

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Next week we'll be in Cambrils / Salou, so your tips are very useful! Thanks!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Hi Margaret, hope the new years going nicely for you 2- going too quickly already though!?enjoyed your page here on Salou - sure are some lovely beaches and spots in Spain - have you been to Blanes?Was there in June and nicely impressed.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 4:49 AM

Good pictures of Cap Salou - but as you say spoiled by insensitive over development. All that magnificent coastline and so little of it now unspoiled!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2008 at 4:41 AM

Looks like a lovely spot Margaret. I just love the promenades in Spain. Accommodations look very nice.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 5:58 AM

Hi Margaret, I´m fine, thanks, and you? Nice little page :)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM

While I too enjoyed my stay in Salou I couldn't help but think "what am I doing here" when there are much better beaches where I come from.....except no-one speaks Spanish and you can't get tapas.

mustertal

“Don't forget your camera and a pen !”

Badges & Stats in Salou