"Carcassonne" Carcassonne by mustertal
Carcassonne Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 1,397 photos
This small fortress town, which is steeped in history, was founded in 1260. Since then, it has seen many battles and most famously the crusades against the heretics in the 13th century. Since then it has gone through many changes and much renovation ( some say to much has been done).
It is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and, with it's 52 towers,3km of battlements, and, two rings of town wall, stands magnificently overlooking the left bank of the river Aude.
It is still home to some 125 people.
The narrow cobbled streets that criss cross through the town, take you into another world.
Parking should not be a problem, there are many parking spaces outside the Cite walls.
Disabled parking is marked, but we went to the hotel parking which is just by the main gate.
The streets have a slight incline and are cobbled which some people may find difficult, but I don't think there are any major obstacles for a wheel chair,apart from the bumpy cobbles and the Castle Comtal. (we didn't go in as there are steps ).
Some of the Ramparts can accessed through the main gate, and some via the Castle and other areas with guides only. You... more travel advice
mustertal's Related Pages
Carcassonne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carcassonne.........town of two parts."
- "On and Off the Road in Carcassonne"
- "Carcassonne - medieval heaven"
- "About the Cathars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carcassonne
- Hotels in Carcassonne
- Transportation in Carcassonne
- Nightlife in Carcassonne
- Restaurants in Carcassonne
- Shopping in Carcassonne
- Warnings and Dangers in Carcassonne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carcassonne
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Carcassonne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carcassonne
Photos in CarcassonneSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 51 reviews, 102 photos
- Staufen im Breisgau Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Germany Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salou Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos
- Lytham Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pals Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Largentière Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auxerre Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos