"The Most Sacred Daoist Mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Tai Shan by travelpug
Tai Shan Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 180 photos
Before visiting Tai Shan, I really didn't have much knowledge about this most sacred Taoist mountain in China. I have read about this mountain in chinese literature. Taishan is 1545m high and the hike is 8km long. Visitors can hike up and down within the same day. But I chose to take it easy and did it in 2 days.
Although Taishan is famous among the chinese people, I didn't see a huge crowd when I was there. I went there in spring (April), perhaps it wasn't the peak season. That provided me some quiet time to enjoy my visit to Tai Shan. I stayed on top of the mountain hoping to get a glimpse of sunrise in the morning. It was freezing cold at night. Unfortunately, due to heavy fog the next morning, we weren't able to see it.
The top of Taishan is relatively flat. There is a small 'street' called TianJie (means Heavenly Street) where all the souvenir shops, hotels and restaurants are located. There are a couple temples on top. YuHuangSi Temple is at the highest point of TaiShan. YuHuang is the Heavenly God according to Daoist believe. Unfortunately, I was turned off by the fact that you need to pay entrance ticket to get into the temples in China. So I didn't go in.
On the way up or down at TaiShan, you will come across these porters who carry heavy items to the top of Tai Shan. These... more travel advice
travelpug's Related Pages
Tai Shan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunrise, Sunset, Sea of Clouds"
- "Tai Shan - The sacred mountain of Taoism"
- "Chinas most sacred mountain"
- "The Most Sacred Daoist Mountain"
- "Tai Shan"
- "Snowy Taishan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai Shan
- Hotels in Tai Shan
- Transportation in Tai Shan
- Restaurants in Tai Shan
- Shopping in Tai Shan
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai Shan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tai Shan
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Tai Shan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai Shan
Photos in Tai ShanSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 29 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 27 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Taman Negara Kinabalu Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Phatthalung Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos
- Damnoen Saduak Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos