"Peaceful Water Town on Stilts" Amphawa by travelpug
Amphawa Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
If it wasn't a friend from Samut Songkhram, I wouldn't have the fortunate chance to visit Amphawa. The truth is, as a Malaysian, I had never heard of the name, let alone to visit. But to my pleasant surprise, Amphawa has turned out to be one of my favorite places that I have visited in Thailand.
Amphawa is a district located in the province of Samut Songkhram. It is about 60km away from Bangkok. It makes a nice day trip from Bangkok. The more popular Damnoen Saduak floating market is nearby. So, you can throw two birds with one stone if you pay a visit to Samut Songkhram.
I visited Amphawa in mid afternoon, there wasn't many tourists at all. We parked our car and walked towards a coffee shop. I didn't know that the the back (or was it the front?) of the coffee shop actually opens to a canal. The canal is like the main street on the small town. On both sides of the canal, there are rows of old houses facing the canal. There is a walkway that links each houses and shops. Visitors can walk on the walkway from one shop to another. There are staircases that lead to the canal. My friend told me that the water level will rise in the late afternoon. Therefore, Amphawa floating market will start later in the afternoon. Well, due to time constrain, we didn't stay late enough to see the floating market. But I definitely enjoyed my 2 hours stay in Amphawa.
Local people use boats as the main transportation.
Floating Market in Amphawa starts in the late afternoon. It is due to the water level in the canal only rises in the... more travel advice
travelpug's Related Pages
Amphawa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Amphawa
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Amphawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amphawa
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 29 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 27 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Taman Negara Kinabalu Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Phatthalung Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos
- Damnoen Saduak Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos