"Henrik's Grenada-page" Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada by Henrik_rrb
Grenada Travel Guide: 439 reviews and 1,380 photos
For a guy that gets seasick as soon as someone mention the word "boat" 19 days of sailing might be a bit stupid. But the fact that the sailing would be done in the Caribbean made me re-think - and in the end it gave me the vacation of my life.
Not easy to remember everything I've done in almost three weeks, but on this page, and about 14 others over the Caribbean, I'll do my best.
Grenada was the first stop for us, and I wasn't disappointed. The island is very green, and much bigger than I had thought.
During our second day we made a round trip with a local taxi driver, with the water fall as maybe the biggest sight we saw.
Grenada is probably most famous for the US-led invasion back in 1983. Today the island is independent, and has almost 90 000 inhabitants. It's a part of Caribbean, and Grenada is also in charge of the smaller islands Carriacou and Petite Martinique. The capital is St George, which for sure is the smallest capital I've ever visited (if one exlude the Vatican of course).
The biggest income for the people is the tourists, but I can't say that it's a touristique place. More charming I would say. There are some signs that tourism gets more and more important, so I would go there as soon as possible before it gets too busy.
From the invasion back in 1983 I couldn't see any signs, not even a McDonalds restaurant on the whole island. :)
Grenada is situated north of the Trinidad-Tobago islands, and has since 1985 its own international airport. The language spoken is english, and french patois. Wouldn't say that it always is easy to understand the english, as the locals speak with a caribbean accent. Specially in the beginning it's quite hard to understand when they speak fast.
The money used is EC dollars. One EC-dollar is 2,67 US dollar, and the value is fixed to that price. It's possible to pay with US dollar everywhere, but you'll get ripped off the whole time.
- Pros:The weather, the people, the food
... so don't bring too much clothes. And definitely no warm ones. At the maximum you can get one tropical rain every... more travel advice
The Sul la Mer restaurant is the hotel restaurant of the GEM holiday beach resort. It's divided into three locals, where... more travel advice
Henrik_rrb's Related Pages
Grenada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S COOL"
- "Nutmeg, Rum, Hurricanes and Ronald Reagan"
- "Henrik's Grenada-page"
- "The spice island"
- "Grenada - The Spice Island"
- "Grenada - In One Day!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grenada
- Hotels in Grenada
- Transportation in Grenada
- Nightlife in Grenada
- Restaurants in Grenada
- Shopping in Grenada
- Warnings and Dangers in Grenada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grenada
- 19 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Grenada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grenada
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 56 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaduz Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos