"Henrik's Grenada-page" Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada by Henrik_rrb

Grenada Travel Guide: 377 reviews and 1,046 photos

The trip

For a guy that gets seasick as soon as someone mention the word "boat" 19 days of sailing might be a bit stupid. But the fact that the sailing would be done in the Caribbean made me re-think - and in the end it gave me the vacation of my life.

Not easy to remember everything I've done in almost three weeks, but on this page, and about 14 others over the Caribbean, I'll do my best.

Grenada

Grenada was the first stop for us, and I wasn't disappointed. The island is very green, and much bigger than I had thought.
During our second day we made a round trip with a local taxi driver, with the water fall as maybe the biggest sight we saw.

Grenada is probably most famous for the US-led invasion back in 1983. Today the island is independent, and has almost 90 000 inhabitants. It's a part of Caribbean, and Grenada is also in charge of the smaller islands Carriacou and Petite Martinique. The capital is St George, which for sure is the smallest capital I've ever visited (if one exlude the Vatican of course).

The biggest income for the people is the tourists, but I can't say that it's a touristique place. More charming I would say. There are some signs that tourism gets more and more important, so I would go there as soon as possible before it gets too busy.

From the invasion back in 1983 I couldn't see any signs, not even a McDonalds restaurant on the whole island. :)

Grenada is situated north of the Trinidad-Tobago islands, and has since 1985 its own international airport. The language spoken is english, and french patois. Wouldn't say that it always is easy to understand the english, as the locals speak with a caribbean accent. Specially in the beginning it's quite hard to understand when they speak fast.

The money used is EC dollars. One EC-dollar is 2,67 US dollar, and the value is fixed to that price. It's possible to pay with US dollar everywhere, but you'll get ripped off the whole time.

• Pros:The weather, the people, the food
  • Last visit to Grenada: Jan 2007
  • Intro Written Jan 28, 2007

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Beautiful sunset photo :-) Am thinking about taking a cruise that stops here later this year!

• newyorkerman's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Happy Holidays and New Year!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 5:51 PM

That cricket stadium story is really hilarious... Nice page!

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 2:24 AM

You scared off the monkeys HA HA HA!!! Nice pages, and a great start to the trip I gather!!!

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Hey, you have written some really great tips about the Spice Islands. Looks like a fantastic place to relax. Carib beer originated in Trinidad!

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 12:18 AM

I have never in my life seen such a golden sunset - absolutely beautiful!

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Hey Henrik , looks like you were in Paradise ;0) Nice one.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 12:54 PM

It seems you had a great time there .... dancing a lot ;-) Great pics! I loved the sunset pic!

Henrik_rrb

“There is always a new place to see.”

Badges & Stats in Grenada

Have you been to Grenada?

Latest Activity in Grenada