"Nice little town" Fredrikstad by Henrik_rrb
Fredrikstad Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 110 photos
Situated shortly above the Swedish border, Fredrikstad is a nice little village with 40 000 inhabitants. About 100 kilometers south of the Norwegian capital Oslo.
I got here for work, of course a football game, and immediately felt a very nice feeling for the town. Both at the football club and game, there was a very familiar atmosphere, as it also was in the city center.
Outside the actual city there is also the "old village" (Gamlebyen) which I can't really decide if I should be disappointed about or not. Lots of nice photo possibilites, but for being an old village it sure seemed quite modern...?
Before that I had a chance to walk through the city center of the new town though. Very nice, and as written above, a very nice atmosphere from the people.
Don't get here on a Sunday evening though, as it's more life on a graveyard that it is in Fredrikstad...
No "after work"-beer for me, when I had finished my articles at midnight...
As always when it comes to me, there was also a football game during the trip. This time Fredrikstad-Start in the norwegian league. Was there due to work, since the goalkeeper in Fredrikstad is a national keeper for Sweden.
Nice stadium, but very old. Not even the roof could hold away the rain when it started to rain...
They are building a new stadium, guess it should be ready for next season.
The game? Fredrikstad won 4-0.
Gamlebyen is actually an old military garnison, and so late as 2002 there were still some military happenings there.
The village has been burnd down many times, but was built for the first time back in 1567, after the swedes (oops, sorry mates... ;) ) had burnd down the old village.
The danish/norwegian king Fredrik II then allowed the inhabitants to move closer to the river, and Gamlebyen was founded.
Actually "Fredrikstad" got it's name from the king.
- Pros:The family atmosphere
- Cons:The early closing times
- In a nutshell:Nice little village
As written above the nightlife in Fredrikstad on a Sunday night is worse than that on a grave yard. Have never seen... more travel advice
Fredrikstad FK is the local football club, playing in the first league in Norway. Was founded back in 1903, and was... more travel advice
Henrik_rrb's Related Pages
Fredrikstad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice little town"
- "Fredrikstad, Norway's 5th largest city"
- "Fredrikstad, a village of fishermen"
- "Fredrikstad Page"
- "My home town."
- "When in Norway, don't just visit Oslo..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredrikstad
- Hotels in Fredrikstad
- Nightlife in Fredrikstad
- Restaurants in Fredrikstad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredrikstad
- 12 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Fredrikstad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredrikstad
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 46 reviews, 146 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Intro, 56 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaduz Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos