"The swedish capital" Stockholm by Henrik_rrb

Stockholm Travel Guide: 4,069 reviews and 10,012 photos

Wow! Two visits in the Swedish capital within less than a week!? When did that happen the last time?

Two trips with two different results I have to say. The first one gave me a new job, but my feeling for the "capitale" wasn't totally positive, which you might understand after you've read on the next rows what I wrote after that trip...

----
"There is a classic joke here in Sweden:
"What is the best thing with Stockholm?

Answer: The train that leaves for Gothenburg..."

And I couldn't actually agree more after the moment last week when I got to Stockholm. I was there for a one-day-trip, and was about to go from the Central Station to the Globen-area with the subway.

For those of you who haven't visited the swedish capital, it's a trip that will take around 10-15 minutes.

I asked for a ticket and hold up a 20 kronor-note, but the lady behind the desk just lauged and said sarcasticly "that's not enough. It costs 45 kronor".

I'm sorry...?! That is like 5 euro... And I who thought that Oslo was expensive. Please tell me, anyone, if there is any other subway in the whole world that is that expensive??

No wonder no swede outside Stockholm likes the swedish capital...

Okey okey, I know it's a bit smallish to be pissed off for some stupid subway-tickets. But come on, you must admit that I could have gotten a nicer welcome...?

Anyway, I'll be back there next week, then with a newly bought "Stockholm card", which means I'll take the subway for free. Should help me to start like Stockholm a bit at least... ;)"
----

The second trip didn't give me a new job, but gave me so much else. Although it was 4 quite cold days, I had so much fun! And with the Stockholm-card I didn't need to pay the outrages prices on the subway either...

So it's from this trip you'll find info about. And I'm quite sure you'll find a lot of positive feelings here...

I'll definately go back to Stockholm again, still so much to see that I never had time to explore!
And I advice you to do the same, although you shouldn't go there in the winter... Way too cold for any human person, although my lovely travel companion, from nice and warm Los Angeles, though it was really nice and warm!

Me, on the other side, frooze my ass off everytime I went outside the door... ;)

But that didn't stop me from having fun!

Enjoy the reading!

• Pros:The beautiful city
  • Cons:The crazy prices
  • In a nutshell:So much to see!
  • Last visit to Stockholm: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 6, 2012

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Great page about your visit to Stockholm! I especially like your tip about the Café Opera -- and how you blame your visit there on too many beers (haha). Your hotel tip is also very helpful and thorough. Cheers, Bill

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Heia! Beautiful city...Need to visit it soon while my friends are there!:-) Kram

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 5:41 PM

Molto grazie (or is it Grazie molto ?) !!! Thank you for your wishes, babe .... Swedish people are always so nice :-)))

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Did you send the e-mail to my work e-mail, chico. 'Cause I don't see it. :-(

• Claire627's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 2:35 AM

I am actually going to Lund University on exchange for a year and i do plan to visit the capital city! So the capital city is much more expensive than Lund? It kinda scares me now! haha I am just a poor student!

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 4:30 AM

I've an image that Stockholm is one of the coolest city in the world and wish to visit it one. Thanks for sharing all pretty pictures and nice tips.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 11:01 AM

great tips!

• Dec 3, 2005 at 12:00 PM

Hey, thanks for visiting my pages! On my part I've felt a bit strange as I couldn't resist of the prices in the tax-free shop on the ferry and bought so many bottles of beer :D Otherwise I Love Sweden!! Greetings from Hungary

• edachsund's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 7:46 PM

you ve made your country even interesting by elaborating them nicely. I was there during stop over last year from Newark and since then I was thinking was it hard to get a visa or working holiday visa for an asian like me? :-) Nice page anyway.

• Aug 3, 2005 at 3:57 PM

Nice page you've got here! ~Mette~

Henrik_rrb

“There is always a new place to see.”

Badges & Stats in Stockholm

Have you been to Stockholm?

Latest Activity in Stockholm