"Amazing !!!!" Ayuthaya by jlanza29
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 730 reviews and 2,408 photos
Ayutthaya city is the capital of Ayutthaya province in Thailand. Located in the valley of the Chao Phraya River. The city was founded in 1350 by King U Thong, who went there to escape a smallpox outbreak in Lop Buri and proclaimed it the capital of his kingdom, often referred to as the Ayutthaya kingdom or Siam. Ayutthaya became the second Siamese capital after Sukhothai. Its remains, characterized by the prang (reliquary towers) and gigantic monasteries, give an idea of its past splendour. It is estimated that Ayutthaya by the year 1600 CE had a population of about 300,000, with the population perhaps reaching 1,000,000 around 1700 CE, making it one of the world's largest cities at that time. In 1767, the city was destroyed by the Burmese army, resulting in the collapse of the kingdom. The Ayutthaya historical park is the ruins of the former capital of the Kingdom of Siam. It is the site of mass murder, rape and enslavement of Siamese people and destruction of the Ayutthaya city, its art and buildings by the Burmese in 1767, which is recognized internationally as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city was refounded a few kilometers to the east. The city is sometimes called "Venice of the East".
Well, after reading so much about this place we finally made it here. Well worth the 2 hour drive from Bangkok !!!!!!
This is one of the coolest things I have ever done in my entire life.....located on the southwest part of Ayutthay... more travel advice
Probably the most photgraphed buddha image in Ayutthaya this location is packed with people.....a somewhat small complex... more travel advice
jlanza29's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 28 reviews, 72 photos
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 74 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos
- Miami Intro, 30 reviews, 38 photos
- Sydney Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 22 reviews, 41 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos