"Penang My Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by cheekychic

Penang Travel Guide: 2,478 reviews and 5,340 photos

The Colours of Penang

I just love everything about Penang island. After each travel, Penang is still the best place to live.. there's no place like home. The pace is slower and lifestyle is idyllic. We have everything here - the beaches, the hills, combination of the old and the new – a bustling port, a heritage city and an industrial base. In Georgetown, modern skyscrapers rise among prewar buildings, century-old churches, Chinese temples, Indian temples, and Muslim mosques. Penang is blessed that no matter which part of the island you're on, the hills will be in your view. And variety GOOD FOOD is abundant & convenient almost 24 hours.

Lola18 also made a statement : "After each trip to Penang, I feel recharged with energy."

I am so proud of my island home...

The Pearl of the Orient

Penang or Pulau Pinang in Malays is made up of Penang island and the Province Wellesley (Seberang Perai) on the mainland. Literally translated, Pulau Pinang means the "Island of the Betel Nut Tree".

Since 1985, the island has been joined to the mainland by the Penang Bridge, one of the longest bridges in Asia. Travellers arriving from the mainland can hop onto the ferry and take a 20-minute ride across.

Useful websites on Penang:
www.tourismpenang.gov.my
www.virtualmalaysia.com/destination/Penang-Malaysia.html

The History

On 11 August 1786, Captain Francis Light took possession of the Penang island and christianed it "the Prince of Wales Island".

In the 19th century, Penang was in a trade boom and became an important immigration port for immigrants from South China and South India.

The Second World War broke out in December 1941 and the Japanese invaded Malaya. In 4 September 1945, the Japanese surrendered to the British Forces. 31st August 1957 - Malaya gained independence.

• Pros:Food haven and simple lifestyle
  • Cons:Crazy drivers..
  • In a nutshell:A Multicultural Experience
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2006

• Oct 28, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Lovely page about Penang! I love to be here one day! Nikos

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 10:58 AM

now i am thinking seriously which to go: Penang or Melaka... I love ur page so much, btw... those words in ur intro page tell me how u love ur home : )

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 4:47 PM

great photos and text....added just about all your food tips to my DIY guide...cannot WAIT to get there....thanks for such helpful pages!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 10:42 PM

Great tips on Penang.... the Gurney Resort sounds like a great place to stay :~)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 5:01 AM

you like toys, I like toy boys! Just kidding!! nice Penang page. I like the part about old mansions.

• Linda_T's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 7:18 PM

Great Penang page. I look forward to visiting Penang in 2006

• zp_han's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2005 at 8:36 AM

The URL http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/ seems to me very useful as it even doesn't show up in google.

• ahcoln's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 10:18 PM

hi Shannon, my family has moved to Pg few yrs ago but i seldom there. But I know Pg is a great place to eat!!!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 1:25 AM

hi shannon >> how are you? :) i miss the yummy vege steamboat and want to visit penang someday!!!!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 1:02 PM

Great page Shannon!! It's easy to see how much you love Penang! I hope we get to see a lot of these things in here... :)

cheekychic Was Born Here!

cheekychic

“Believe what is... Not what you think it is.”

Badges & Stats in Penang