"Penang My Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by cheekychic
Penang Travel Guide: 2,486 reviews and 5,374 photos
I just love everything about Penang island. After each travel, Penang is still the best place to live.. there's no place like home. The pace is slower and lifestyle is idyllic. We have everything here - the beaches, the hills, combination of the old and the new – a bustling port, a heritage city and an industrial base. In Georgetown, modern skyscrapers rise among prewar buildings, century-old churches, Chinese temples, Indian temples, and Muslim mosques. Penang is blessed that no matter which part of the island you're on, the hills will be in your view. And variety GOOD FOOD is abundant & convenient almost 24 hours.
Lola18 also made a statement : "After each trip to Penang, I feel recharged with energy."
I am so proud of my island home...
The Pearl of the Orient
Penang or Pulau Pinang in Malays is made up of Penang island and the Province Wellesley (Seberang Perai) on the mainland. Literally translated, Pulau Pinang means the "Island of the Betel Nut Tree".
Since 1985, the island has been joined to the mainland by the Penang Bridge, one of the longest bridges in Asia. Travellers arriving from the mainland can hop onto the ferry and take a 20-minute ride across.
Useful websites on Penang:
On 11 August 1786, Captain Francis Light took possession of the Penang island and christianed it "the Prince of Wales Island".
In the 19th century, Penang was in a trade boom and became an important immigration port for immigrants from South China and South India.
The Second World War broke out in December 1941 and the Japanese invaded Malaya. In 4 September 1945, the Japanese surrendered to the British Forces. 31st August 1957 - Malaya gained independence.
- Pros:Food haven and simple lifestyle
- Cons:Crazy drivers..
- In a nutshell:A Multicultural Experience
Nam Hong Coffee Shop has been around for many years and serves one of the yummiest chicken rice i've ever tasted. The... more travel advice
Deemed to be the largest shopping mall in Penang, but not all shops are opened. A girl can find almost everything she... more travel advice
cheekychic's Related Pages
Penang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penang - Prince of Wales Island"
- "Penang - my birthplace"
- "colourful FUSION of culture"
- "Penang for Foodies"
- "Penang My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penang
- Hotels in Penang
- Transportation in Penang
- Nightlife in Penang
- Restaurants in Penang
- Shopping in Penang
- Warnings and Dangers in Penang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penang
- 43 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 43 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taipei Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Longyan Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xiamen Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuantan Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Negeri Melaka Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Redang Intro, 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Teluk Intan Intro, 1 review, 3 photos