"Waxing nostalgic..." Top 5 Page for this destination Iloilo City by Tijavi
Iloilo City Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 890 photos
I can't help but feel nostalgic while doing a travelogue on my hometown - Iloilo City. Traipsing through the streets of this old and genteel city (2nd oldest in the Philippines founded by the Spaniards, after Cebu), I was greeted by familiar sights, sounds, scents and smiles of people known to be the most gentle and soft spoken of Filipinos.
It felt great to relive the days when I shopped at the old downtown area, entered Iloilo's grand churces for the first time (I'm not Catholic, in case you're interested), and enjoyed the treats of my childhood years - Iloilo-style burgers (read: lots of ketchup and a slice of pickle) and hotdog waffles - and rediscovered the town, which will always be my home.
Iloilo City is the capital of the province of Iloilo - so named because of its nose-like shape - nose in local language, Ilonggo or Hiligaynon, is "ilong."
Besides being the provincial capital, Iloilo City is also the capital of the Western Visayas region, an agglomeration of six provinces - Iloilo, Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Guimaras, and Negros Occidental - in the Visayan group of islands in central Philippines. Thus, Iloilo City occupies a pre-eminent position among the many cities in Western Visayas serving as the economic, industrial, cultural, and educational hub of the region. Nationally, its importance equals that of other tier two cities like Davao, and Cagayan de Oro in Mindanao, and Bacolod, the capital of neigboring Negros Occidental.
Given its importance, Iloilo City does generate a substantial economic pull that lures migrants, mostly from neighboring provinces, to work and live in the city. As of 2000 census, Iloilo City's population was about 366,000. The people, called Ilonggos, speak the local dialect Hiligaynon (also known as Ilonggo) as well as English and Tagalog, which are the country's offical languages for business and government.
As a major entrepot, Iloilo City is easily accessible from Manila by air (Philippine Airlines, Air Philippines, Cebu Pacific) and sea (WG&A, Negros Navigation). And from Iloilo City, nearby cities of Bacolod (capital of Negros Occidental, and oftentimes regarded as Iloilo's more flamboyant twin city), Roxas (seafood capital of the Philippines), and the paradise island of Boracay are within easy reach.
As the Spaniards' second urban settlement in the Philippines, Iloilo City is endowed with an old-world charm and elegance that is reflected in the many facets of the Ilonggo culture - from the heavily Spanish-influenced local dialect, the delicate pastries, the palatial homes of the old rich, the imposing cathedrals, to the gracefulness and modesty of the Ilonggo lasses, the Ilonggas.
Indeed, grace and gentility have been deeply embedded in the Ilonggos' psyche and character, and the city remains a living showcase of the best of the Phillipines' colonial era.
- Pros:Old world charm, small town values
- Cons:Eroding physical heritage, congestion
- In a nutshell:A living showcase of old world charm and gentility
If you missed that balut in Manila, fret not, Ilonggos love their balut, too! This is perhaps for the most adventurous,... more travel advice
A more local offering would be grilled corn on the cob sans the greasy butter. Best eaten on its own and warm and fresh... more travel advice
- See All Jaro District: Our Lady of Candles
- See All The city's most beautiful public park
- See All Iloilo's crusty secret
Tijavi's Related Pages
Iloilo City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waxing nostalgic..."
- "My Love Affair With Iloilo City"
- "Iloilo City, I shall return :)"
- "Iloilo City"
- "Fun-filled Iloilo"
- "Iloilo City and Beyond"
- "Iloilo City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iloilo City
- Hotels in Iloilo City
- Transportation in Iloilo City
- Nightlife in Iloilo City
- Restaurants in Iloilo City
- Shopping in Iloilo City
- Warnings and Dangers in Iloilo City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Iloilo City
- 32 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Iloilo City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iloilo City
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues