"Bali the beautiful" Bali by Tijavi
Bali Travel Guide: 6,725 reviews and 17,230 photos
Beauty is all around Bali: verdant rice paddies watered by gushing streams, scenic countryside, unique architecture, rich cultural heritage founded on a deep sense of piety.
And yes, the genuinely warm and charming ways of its people.
My weeklong travel to this island of three million gentle souls took me to the surfing paradise that is Kuta, to the island's cultural heartland in Ubud and to a quaint fishing village in Padang Bai.
Unless one is a hardcore surfer (especially if from Down Under) or a pampered guest at a top-end resort in Nusa Dua, it is impossible to find beauty in Kuta - Bali's most popular tourist destination.
Kuta is the embodiment of uncontrolled tourism development. The place is teeming not just with touts but also with unbridled commercialism and vulgarity that has shamelessly desecrated Bali's true essence and innocence.
Disillusioned, I trekked to Ubud for inspiration and enlightenment.
Bali's cultural heartland, Ubud is Bali's defining character, despite the onslaught of mass tourism. Here, the visitor is treated to a myriad of cultural offerings - colorful dance and music shows, a good number of reputable art museums, and artists' villages and communities, among others.
I have devoted a separate page for Ubud to highlight not just its enlightening cultural offerings but also to showcase its traditional village life and its charming, gentle people.
- Pros:The Balinese people, Ubud and its quaint surrounding communities
- Cons:Kuta, and yes, those darn dogs
- In a nutshell:A complete package with something for everyone
Like religion, rice occupies a very prominent position in Balinese community life - from preparing the field, to... more travel advice
I chanced upon this Italian resto, voted the best in Bali (or so it claims), while strolling along Kuta and Legian... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharing my experiences Under the Bali Sunshine"
- "Bali, A Travel to Island Of Paradise :"
- "Bali, Indonesia..."
- "Bali - Island Beauty"
- "...stranded between heaven and earth"
- "BALI Of Gods, Goddesses & Demons"
- "Bali - Home of the Gods (& mischievious monkeys)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bali
- Hotels in Bali
- Transportation in Bali
- Nightlife in Bali
- Restaurants in Bali
- Shopping in Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Bali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bali
- 41 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bali
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues