Siena Favorite Tips by Tijavi Top 5 Page for this destination
Siena Favorites: 67 reviews and 112 photos
Favorite thing: Siena's location on the gentle rolling hills of Tuscany makes it an ideal alternative base for exploring the region called Il Chianti - one of Italy's most enchanting areas characterized by rolling hills and gentle valleys blanketed with vineyards where some of Italy's most famous wines come from.
Within the historic center of Siena, there are a few spots where these marvelous topography could be preserved for posterity by shutter-happy tourists. My recommendations:
Via San Giovanni Dupre, near the gigantic Chiesa di Sant' Agostino - sweeping views of the nearby hills covered with vineyards with lovely medieval structures seemingly popping out of the hills, with the Basilica di Sta Maria dei Servi a very prominent landmark. Directly below Via San Giovanni Dupre is a park that makes for an ideal venue for leisurely walks (and burn those calories from Siena's many wonderful restaurants).
Via del Comune just off Piazza San Francesco - around sunset on a clear day, the reflection of the rays of the setting sun on a medieval church across the other hill is simply enchanting. Getting here is a bit tricky - from the town center along Via del Rossi, take a left turn on a small alley before reaching Piazza San Francesco. At the time of my visit, the distinguishing mark are some bold graffiti on the walls of the building beneath which the alley could be accessed.
The park around Fortezza Medicea - close to the local stadium,Stadio Comunale, there is a park from where you get good vantage points to take pictures of the Duomo and the old historical center. More dramatic lighting around sunset, too.
More Reviews (29)
- See All Another hidden gem
- If it were not for the leaking roof...
- Bus is better alternative from Florence
- Never ending Florence-Siena rivalry
Tijavi's Related Pages
Siena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A thousand shades of brown"
- "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- "Siena is wonderful place"
- "The true star of Tuscany"
- "Siena, the ochre city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siena
- Hotels in Siena
- Transportation in Siena
- Nightlife in Siena
- Restaurants in Siena
- Shopping in Siena
- Warnings and Dangers in Siena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siena
- 30 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Siena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siena
Photos in SienaSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Piazza del Campo- 115 Reviews, 227 Photos
- Duomo- 111 Reviews, 255 Photos
- Museo Civico- 7 Reviews, 30 Photos
- wine and cellars- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Surroundings- 16 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Museo dell'opera del duomo- 10 Reviews, 29 Photos
- the PALIO- 9 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Loggia della Mercanzia- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos