"Touts outshine Tut" Luxor by Tijavi
Luxor Travel Guide: 1,622 reviews and 4,446 photos
Every year on 4th November, Luxor celebrates the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, in 1922, miraculously intact and safe from the rapacious hands of tomb raiders (except for two cases of minor theft).
Overnight, Tutankhamun, a minor pharaoh, was elevated to one of ancient Egypt's greatest - not because of his historical significance (after all, he ruled for less than a decade), but because of what the discovery could do to Luxor's tourism potential. Since then, this potential has been exploited and corrupted to the max.
Except for that one day where Tut takes centerstage, it's the touts that rule supreme for the rest of the year. There is no way you could escape them - they are everywhere and ever annoying. Caleche? Papyrus? Felucca? Baksheesh! Walking around Luxor is very stressful as you dodge touts and wrangle with them (they could get physical sometimes, without respect for others' personal spaces, believe me). In shops and stores, you have to haggle for everything - from fake papyrus souvenirs to bottled water. Their methods are crude, their behavior, deplorably rude.
This is very unfortunate since Luxor is bursting with amazing ancient monuments and is a must-see for history junkies and pharaonic devotees (or even just the plain curious). Perhaps the best way to deal with it is to get there fast, visit the monuments and get out.
- Pros:Bursting with amazing ancient monuments
- Cons:A place where one's patience is tested to the extreme.
- In a nutshell:Get there fast, see the monuments, and get out. Quickly.
Anubis is ancient Egypt's god of death - and nothing could be more appropriate to describe food prices at this... more travel advice
Arguably, the west bank contains some of the highest concentration of ancient monuments in the world with the Valley of... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Luxor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "We are going to Luxor...."
- "One week in Luxor"
- "Two-Thirds of Egypt's Ruins are Here"
- "L U X O R"
- "Luxor - Nile Cruise"
- "Luxor Temple Pictures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luxor
- Hotels in Luxor
- Transportation in Luxor
- Nightlife in Luxor
- Restaurants in Luxor
- Shopping in Luxor
- Warnings and Dangers in Luxor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luxor
- 17 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Luxor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luxor
Photos in LuxorSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues