"Touts outshine Tut" Luxor by Tijavi

Luxor Travel Guide: 1,615 reviews and 4,398 photos

364 days a year

Every year on 4th November, Luxor celebrates the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, in 1922, miraculously intact and safe from the rapacious hands of tomb raiders (except for two cases of minor theft).

Overnight, Tutankhamun, a minor pharaoh, was elevated to one of ancient Egypt's greatest - not because of his historical significance (after all, he ruled for less than a decade), but because of what the discovery could do to Luxor's tourism potential. Since then, this potential has been exploited and corrupted to the max.

Except for that one day where Tut takes centerstage, it's the touts that rule supreme for the rest of the year. There is no way you could escape them - they are everywhere and ever annoying. Caleche? Papyrus? Felucca? Baksheesh! Walking around Luxor is very stressful as you dodge touts and wrangle with them (they could get physical sometimes, without respect for others' personal spaces, believe me). In shops and stores, you have to haggle for everything - from fake papyrus souvenirs to bottled water. Their methods are crude, their behavior, deplorably rude.

This is very unfortunate since Luxor is bursting with amazing ancient monuments and is a must-see for history junkies and pharaonic devotees (or even just the plain curious). Perhaps the best way to deal with it is to get there fast, visit the monuments and get out.

Quickly.

• Pros:Bursting with amazing ancient monuments
  • Cons:A place where one's patience is tested to the extreme.
  • In a nutshell:Get there fast, see the monuments, and get out. Quickly.
  • Last visit to Luxor: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2007

• stewarth99's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 7:02 AM

This is now the Africa Garden. There has been a change of management and the water wheel is no longer there

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM

I'm going to Luxor next week. I hope my method of tout avoiding works but reading your pages I rather fear it won't (iPod, sunglasses and purposeful stride). You have the best Egypt pages I've seen on VT.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Thanks for good information .

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 3:13 AM

Greetings from the cold and damp! Must get some desert in soon. But a long way from Luxor, I think!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM

The others who've commented are spot on - fantastic photos and really thorough and helpful tips. But I too must have been lucky as I had no real problems here with touts or scroungers - or maybe things have changed since my late 80s visit?

• josephescu's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

i guess the BEST pictures i've seen on VT ! keep on sharing, plss

• norain's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Very nice!!!!

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM

This is an excellent page on Luxor. Thinking of going there in December. Thank you for sharing!!!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 8:40 AM

We must have been lucky. We weren't unduly troubled by touts at all. if they did come near we just shook our heads and said La Shukran.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I can only repeat what deecat said below: I wish all tips on VT were as good as yours. Your pictures (especially travelogue) are stellar.

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Luxor