"Amasra: Turkey's Amalfi" Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra by Tijavi

Amasra Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 255 photos

Amalfi? That may be stretching it too far (and I have never been to Amalfi), but certainly Amasra is a charming little town off the Black Sea coast. Its attraction lies not in its mediocre beach (plus the water is too cold for a swim, and this was in late May) but in its small village feel that is characterically laid back. Of course, the people are warm and friendly, in true Turkish fashion.

The village is popular with local tourists who descend upon Amasra's shores on summer weekends. I was there on a Sunday, and the town was indeed filled with weekend daytrippers from nearby cities. I was told that Amasra is popular with European backpackers as well, but have seen only a couple of senior Western tourists while I was there. So grab any opportunity to visit this quaint seaside town before hordes of package tourists invade the place.

• Pros:Small town vibe, lots of value-for-money lodging options
  • Cons:Mediocre beach (if it's the beach you're after)
  • In a nutshell:Quintessential pretty little town on the Black Sea coast
  • Last visit to Amasra: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2007

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Haha, given your description, I shall try and find Efes here :-) Your accommodation sounds perfect and the young guys as well - oh my, the benefits of hospitality in the smaller lesser known places :-) Strawberries... mmmhhh :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Looks a great place to chill, and what a sunset! That pansiyon sounds a real find - as you say, I hope expansion doesn't detract from its evident charms

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM

It was a bad idea looking your restaurant tips while working. If I haven't see the photo of Efes and calmars, I can focus my job. Very good page. I missed their fishes and salads.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2006 at 5:47 AM

liked your Amasra page. useful info and nice photos. great.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2006 at 5:12 AM

You have really captured the "spirit" of Turkey in your Amasra pages. The story of the students was fascinating. Wow! sunsets, indeed. Enjoyable, interesting, truthful, helpful, and, as always, so well written.

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Amasra