"Mighty Bursa" Top 5 Page for this destination Bursa by Tijavi

Bursa Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 641 photos

Even its name exudes strength, power. And indeed ancient Bursa was powerful - it was the first capital of the Ottoman Empire and before that, a bustling city of ancient tourists lured by Cekirge's mineral baths, and of traders engaged in the lucrative silk trade.

This rich history is reflected in Bursa's attractions: Cekirge's famous mineral baths continue to draw visitors, and the vestiges of the early Ottoman Empire are very much visible and palpable in the city's camii (mosques), architecture, and the presence of its founders, Osman and Orhan who are entombed here.

While not enjoying the same prominence it once had, today's Bursa continues to be a center of commerce and industry in Western Anatolia (Renault and Fiat have factories here, while nearby Kocaeli province hosts a Tupras refinery) with modern shopping malls housing some fairly high-end brands. In addition to Cekirge's famous mineral baths, Bursa had become the ski capital of Turkey, thanks to Uludag (Grand Mountain). And the city's fashionable cafés and tea salon are filled with Bursa's beautiful people - fashionable, affluent, and rightfully proud of their great city.

• Pros:A fine blend of modernity and ancientness.
  • Cons:This is not one of Turkey's pretty little towns.
  • In a nutshell:A city proud of its past, and confident of its prospects.
  • Last visit to Bursa: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2008

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Ah, I definitely take the heart attack Iskender kebap :-) Must have been amazing to watch the dervishes performance, it looks very authentic! Lovely B&B and oh yes, I would take the funicular uphill :-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Thanks for great tips, going to be very helpful next month when I visit Bursa, think I might take that chairlift up to the top ;-)

• Birsen's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Hi Tijavi, I have been in Bursa many years ago. Now they have this fast ferry from Istanbul, I might visit one day again. Great tips! Thanks, Salu2 from Canaries

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 2:16 PM

As always, you treat us to an educational ["telerifik"], inspirational [whirling dervishes], historical [mosques, tombs], and sensory [food] adventure. I appreciate your ability to transform us to where you have visited.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Skiing near Istambul! I did not think about! Excellent tips (specially on the hotel in the city centre), I like the way you look at the cities. Turkey is so close, and I was never there; something to catch up one day, sure!Nice page Titus.

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Thanks for your nice comment on my Urgup page. I had my dose of Turkish hospitality but it was a little bit over dose. I couldn’t get used to my regular life for a while. You have to visit there at once. Btw, you made me realize how I missed Bursa.

• May 13, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Atlas Hotelis a very nice Hotel. Price ok no Restaurant but 20 meters away you can take a good meal.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Outstanding photos. Lovely historical sights, tea gardens, beautiful scarfs, Bursa appears to be a very nice place to visit.

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Excellent view of Bursa from the top of the mountain. Cable cars are great fun.

• norain's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 4:00 AM

Nice Bursa. Tks for info. I wish I can make it next time :)

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Bursa