"Mighty Bursa" Top 5 Page for this destination Bursa by Tijavi
Bursa Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 648 photos
Even its name exudes strength, power. And indeed ancient Bursa was powerful - it was the first capital of the Ottoman Empire and before that, a bustling city of ancient tourists lured by Cekirge's mineral baths, and of traders engaged in the lucrative silk trade.
This rich history is reflected in Bursa's attractions: Cekirge's famous mineral baths continue to draw visitors, and the vestiges of the early Ottoman Empire are very much visible and palpable in the city's camii (mosques), architecture, and the presence of its founders, Osman and Orhan who are entombed here.
While not enjoying the same prominence it once had, today's Bursa continues to be a center of commerce and industry in Western Anatolia (Renault and Fiat have factories here, while nearby Kocaeli province hosts a Tupras refinery) with modern shopping malls housing some fairly high-end brands. In addition to Cekirge's famous mineral baths, Bursa had become the ski capital of Turkey, thanks to Uludag (Grand Mountain). And the city's fashionable cafés and tea salon are filled with Bursa's beautiful people - fashionable, affluent, and rightfully proud of their great city.
- Pros:A fine blend of modernity and ancientness.
- Cons:This is not one of Turkey's pretty little towns.
- In a nutshell:A city proud of its past, and confident of its prospects.
Crossing Ataturk Caddesi is a risky proposition. The 5-lane one-way street does not have any trafffic crossing that... more travel advice
While tea gardens are a popular fixture in many parts of Turkey, I've never seen something as lively as Bursa's. And... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Bursa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mighty Bursa"
- "End of the Silk Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bursa
- Hotels in Bursa
- Transportation in Bursa
- Nightlife in Bursa
- Restaurants in Bursa
- Shopping in Bursa
- Warnings and Dangers in Bursa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bursa
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bursa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bursa
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues