"A colorful mosaic of conquests and cultures" Top 5 Page for this destination Iznik by Tijavi
Iznik Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 249 photos
Except probably on summer weekends when Istanbullus descend on Iznik for some cooler lakeside breeze, today's Iznik is a sleepy little corner in Western Anatolia - quite a shadow of its former glory.
Formerly known as Nicaea during the Byzantine era, its main claim to fame (to Christians, at least) is its hosting of the first Ecumenical Council where the Nicene Creed - the basic statement of Christian faith shared by most (all?) Christian denominations - was established, in what is now Aya Sofya.
Prior and subsequent to this, Iznik's (or Nicaea's) fortunes did have their peaks and troughs with the coming and going of various rulers - from the Greeks to the Romans, the Byzantines, the Crusaders, and finally, the Ottomans -all gifting the town a colorful history.
While Iznik may no longer be well-known for the Nicene Creed, it certainly is famous for its beautiful and colorful tiles, which symbolically reflect that rich and colorful history.
- Pros:Small, compact, could be finished in half a day.
- Cons:Small, compact, could be finished in half a day.
- In a nutshell:Not a very exciting destination, but still worth seeing if you could spare half a day.
Iznik's size and the proximity of attractions to each other make it an ideal side trip from Bursa. The main sights are... more travel advice
I can't recall the name of this shop I went to, not to buy anything, but to admire and get quick lessons on Iznik tiles.... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Iznik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A colorful mosaic of conquests and cultures"
- "The oldest capital city"
- "Small and interesting"
- "IZNIK, THE CAPITAL OF TWO EMPIRES"
- "Iznik Lake, Bursa, TR ...."
- "Iznik & Nicea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iznik
- Hotels in Iznik
- Transportation in Iznik
- Restaurants in Iznik
- Shopping in Iznik
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Iznik
- 8 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Iznik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iznik
Photos in IznikSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues