"Ottoman hosts or ghosts?" Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu by Tijavi
Safranbolu Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 325 photos
Istanbul aside, Safranbolu was the most touristy place I've been to (complete with Japanese and Korean package holidaymakers). The whole town thrives on tourism with restored Ottoman houses converted to pansiyons, markets awash with souvenir items, and various other shops catering to tourists' needs. In fact, it was the least hospitable place I've visited, beating even megalopolis Istanbul.
Safranbolu's major tourism asset is the well-preserved old Ottoman village of Carsi - a World Heritage site. Traipsing through Carsi's narrow cobbled streets takes you back in time when the town was a favorite haunt of affluent Turks seeking refuge from central Anatolia's biting winter. Safranbolu's location on the meeting point of three valleys adds a dramatic effect to the whole old Ottoman picture (the location also shields the town from harsh winter winds).
Many of the old Ottoman homes have been lovingly restored and converted to pansiyons. In fact, the main highlight of my visit was staying in one of such homes. But there was an eerie feel to it. I wouldn't say it was haunted, but it felt you are being watched as you move around. The creaking wooden floors didn't help either.
- Pros:Authenticity of main attraction - old Ottoman houses
- Cons:Very touristy
- In a nutshell:Spooky!
While exploring Carsi's maze of shops, I bumped into a group of university students who were so eager to practice their... more travel advice
Don't get me wrong. Mehves is a very pleasant B&B. Its hard wood intereriors, delightful furnishings and thick red... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Safranbolu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ottoman hosts or ghosts?"
- "exceptional entirety of old ottoman houses"
- "Safranbolu - Well-Preserved Ottoman Town"
- "The Enchanting Town of Safranbolu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Safranbolu
- Hotels in Safranbolu
- Transportation in Safranbolu
- Nightlife in Safranbolu
- Restaurants in Safranbolu
- Shopping in Safranbolu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safranbolu
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Safranbolu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safranbolu
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Now EVERYTHING is timing out!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hidirlik Parki for great views of the village"
- Wrote a Review Cay, omelette, and raki in Safranbolu Nightlife
- created a Safranbolu Travelogue "Scenes from Safranbolu"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Safranbolu travel pages
Photos in SafranboluSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues