"Sweet Sivas" Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas by Tijavi
Sivas Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 169 photos
Like its famed baklava, Sivas is tough on the outside, but exudes a melt-in-your-mouth sweet taste once you had a bite. Coming from laidback Amasra and stunning Amasya, my first impressions of Sivas were of utter dismay - modern, industiral city devoid of the charms that were characteristic of Amasra and Amasya.
But as soon as I stepped out of my hotel and explored its attractions, the city, just like the baklava's beguiling sweetness, started to wield its magic.
The Seljuk masterpieces, with their incredibly intricate doorways, took me to a period earlier than the Ottoman attractions of Safranbolu and Amasya. The Sivas museum made me fully appreciate modern Turkish history and how one man's determination and dream changed the course (and some say, curse) of a nation's destiny. And Divrigi will be an experience never to be forgotten.
On top of all these, Sivas' people were as friendly and generous and kind and giving as their fellow Turks were in other places I've been to.
- Pros:Seljuk masterpieces and awesome Divrigi
- Cons:Industrial character of the city
- In a nutshell:A great taste of ancient and modern Turkish history
Sivas is such a compact city that you could finish the main attractions (excluding Divrigi, which you have to allot a... more travel advice
Its religious significance and age (built in 1197) aside, there is nothing great in Sivas's Great Mosque (Ulu Cami). But... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Sivas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Sivas"
- "Decisions that saved Turkish nation from slavery"
- "a seldjoukid town,full of life!"
- "Sivas and Divrigi"
- "S I V A S"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sivas
- Hotels in Sivas
- Transportation in Sivas
- Nightlife in Sivas
- Restaurants in Sivas
- Shopping in Sivas
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sivas
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sivas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sivas
Photos in SivasSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Sivas hotel reviews
- Sivas Buyuk Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013