"Sweet Sivas" Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas by Tijavi

Sivas Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 169 photos

Like its famed baklava, Sivas is tough on the outside, but exudes a melt-in-your-mouth sweet taste once you had a bite. Coming from laidback Amasra and stunning Amasya, my first impressions of Sivas were of utter dismay - modern, industiral city devoid of the charms that were characteristic of Amasra and Amasya.

But as soon as I stepped out of my hotel and explored its attractions, the city, just like the baklava's beguiling sweetness, started to wield its magic.

The Seljuk masterpieces, with their incredibly intricate doorways, took me to a period earlier than the Ottoman attractions of Safranbolu and Amasya. The Sivas museum made me fully appreciate modern Turkish history and how one man's determination and dream changed the course (and some say, curse) of a nation's destiny. And Divrigi will be an experience never to be forgotten.

On top of all these, Sivas' people were as friendly and generous and kind and giving as their fellow Turks were in other places I've been to.

• Pros:Seljuk masterpieces and awesome Divrigi
  • Cons:Industrial character of the city
  • In a nutshell:A great taste of ancient and modern Turkish history
  • Last visit to Sivas: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2006

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM

The Seldjuk minarets are really impressive, and you show it Titus! I was looking for the salt ponds of Sivas; I will have to do something. . ;)) Off to Ankara next week, but only work ;(( Best from here where the spring seems to be on a hurry this year.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM

very rich architecture

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Marvellous!! I realise now that I actually like the muqanas a bit better when they are not painted or gilded, the elaborate stonework is much better to admire when they are left plain. Ulu Cami and Darussifa are breathtaking!!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Thank you for dropping by my Laos page. This Sivas page is wonderful. So many great photos, and well written, generous tips. You certainly understand and love Turkey.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 7:21 AM

Excellent tips! I enjoyed reading about the various styles of architecture, and your photos complement your writings so well. I'd never heard of Divrigi but it looks and sounds amazing!

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I love to read about Turkey with your words and this is a wonderful page. I had a friend in university from Divrigi. I wonder what he is doing now. Thanks for reminding me old friends.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Incredible info and the details on the buildings are beautiful. Looks a wonderful place.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 8:13 AM

I love your writing-style - it's so vivid. Also the pictures are excellent and the place is definitely worth visiting.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 12:00 PM

Fascinating. I just adored the photo of the three old men in Divrigi!! I have a photo I took in Spain that is similar and I had it enlarged and framed. Great pages again.

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 5:38 AM

Ah, the wonderful pages are starting again. Never made it out that far east. The Ulucami in Bursa is also very famous.

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Sivas