"Historically calorific..." Top 5 Page for this destination Sidon by Tijavi

Sidon Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 338 photos

...and equally sweet smiles.

Just like the calorie-laden sugary treats at its Mamluk-era souk, Sidon is loaded with historical sights. In fact, ambling around the atmospheric alleys inside the old city is like reliving history with every inch of it looking what is used to be hundreds of years ago - save for hints of modernity and generosity of the Hariri Foundation (which was the moving force behind the many restoration projects). Outside the old city, there are still more to explore: the fairytale Sea Castle, and the ruins of St Louis Castle.

As a history junkie, I thoroughly enjoyed my day trip to Sidon. While munching shawarmas and saniouras (those crumbly local biscuits) - making sure I don't succumb to the temptation of those sugary treats - I got lost in the maze of alleyways of the old city, sometimes ending on doorsteps of homes, and sometimes at public squares where you can mingle with the friendly locals and be shutter-happy with Sidon's camera-loving kids. There was even a time when I ended up in a nicely-done cafe with genuine ancient mosaics as architectural embellishments, and being offered free drinks by the very amiable and hospitable owners.

If sugary treats are not your thing, then you're not missing a lot: the friendly and welcoming people of Sidon will win you over with their sweet smiles instead. As time goes by, the images of the old city and Sidon's castles may fade, but their sweet smiles surely leave a pleasant after taste forever.

• Intro Updated Jul 31, 2011

• Askla's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM

You have lots of interesting info here (exactly the kind of info I'm looking for) and really good photos as well. Now I'll have to browse your pages on Turkey! Regards Lars, Sweden.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Lars, glad you find my Sidon pages helpful. I miss Turkey, too. It's a beautiful country with warm and welcoming people.

• Askla's Profile Photo
      Nov 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I plan to go there twice next year, we'll see if it makes it to plan though...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Wow! I still have 30 kg more around my waist from this intro photo :-) Love your close up photos and especially the beautiful mosaics! Lemon garden? Oh my.... and a souk without things for tourists sounds almost too good to be true :-)

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM

A fantastic page on this beautiful city, and your photos are excellent, as always. I've been to Sidon 3 times, but every visit was rather rushed, so there is plenty I haven't seen as confirmed by your tips. I hope to return (inshallah!).

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

These zlabias really invited me to discover Sidon, Titus!
    I strolled with you in hope to discover if something was left from biblical or Phoenician times. . . So much history that not all could be kept!
    I like a lot your travelogues displaying local life

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Sidon