"Historically calorific..." Top 5 Page for this destination Sidon by Tijavi
Sidon Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 338 photos
Just like the calorie-laden sugary treats at its Mamluk-era souk, Sidon is loaded with historical sights. In fact, ambling around the atmospheric alleys inside the old city is like reliving history with every inch of it looking what is used to be hundreds of years ago - save for hints of modernity and generosity of the Hariri Foundation (which was the moving force behind the many restoration projects). Outside the old city, there are still more to explore: the fairytale Sea Castle, and the ruins of St Louis Castle.
As a history junkie, I thoroughly enjoyed my day trip to Sidon. While munching shawarmas and saniouras (those crumbly local biscuits) - making sure I don't succumb to the temptation of those sugary treats - I got lost in the maze of alleyways of the old city, sometimes ending on doorsteps of homes, and sometimes at public squares where you can mingle with the friendly locals and be shutter-happy with Sidon's camera-loving kids. There was even a time when I ended up in a nicely-done cafe with genuine ancient mosaics as architectural embellishments, and being offered free drinks by the very amiable and hospitable owners.
If sugary treats are not your thing, then you're not missing a lot: the friendly and welcoming people of Sidon will win you over with their sweet smiles instead. As time goes by, the images of the old city and Sidon's castles may fade, but their sweet smiles surely leave a pleasant after taste forever.
Getting to Sidon by public transportation - mainly by mini-buses and service taxis - is easy. The main terminal is Cola... more travel advice
Shawarmas are a fixture in Middle Eastern souks and this is true for Sidon as well. There are numerous shawarma stands... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Sidon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historically calorific..."
- "Sidon صيدا"
- "Saidoon the Phoenician"
- "About Sidon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidon
- Transportation in Sidon
- Nightlife in Sidon
- Restaurants in Sidon
- Shopping in Sidon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sidon
- 16 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Sidon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidon
- Commented on one of Tijavi's Sidon travel pages
- updated a Sidon Travel Page "Historically calorific..."
- Wrote a Review A bus ride with a friendly, smart kid in Sidon Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "A bus ride with a friendly, smart kid"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Now EVERYTHING is timing out!"
Photos in SidonSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues