"Bangkok without the bang" Bangkok by Tijavi

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,401 reviews and 23,175 photos

It is easy to see why millions of tourists flock to Bangkok, Asia's most visited city. Bangkok's attractions are broad-based, attracting a wide spectrum of holidaymakers: a tourist-friendly gateway to Thailand's beaches and scenic countryside (with a gigantic new airport to boot), stunning temples, cheap delicious food, endless shopping extravaganza and a buzzing, red-hot nightlife.

Sounds like a perfect destination. Perhaps, to many, but not for me. Somehow I didn't feel the buzz of Bangkok's nightlife, not even that of lively Khao San, nor felt the overpowering aura of Bangkok's temples no matter how stunning they were. But the food, though admittedly, was splendidly delicious - and cheap; not to mention the Thais who are a wonderful bunch of gentle people armed with sweet smiles.

Could it be overfamiliarity of the territory coming from Southeast Asia myself (Bangkok is so like Manila, only warmer) or the bad case of flu I had? Whatever the reason was, Bangkok failed to mesmerize me enough to make me want to come back.

• Pros:Temples, food, people
  • Cons:Mass tourism hysteria; discrimination against non-farangs
  • In a nutshell:Once is enough for me
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2008

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Oh, I think I know now why I haven't felt a desire to visit Bangkok. I hate racism and if I'd see scenes you describe I would give them pure s**t. Things might happen for a reason, but that is absolutely non-PC to say loud...

• Oct 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM

Hi Tijavi, Would you be so kind to advise the name of the restaurant (including the address) you mentioned to see the beautiful sunset across wat arun temple? Thank You Cosmovera

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Amazing temples here in Thailand, and yes it is sometimes crazy because of the mass tourism...but I think it's time I should go and visit Thailand again...great pictures and tips!Norman :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Ah, yes, another brilliant page. The restaurant tips are excellent and honest. The temples, for me, are wonders, especially Wat Arun. Your abilities are varied and sometimes amazing...you use all senses and trasport us to the places.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 7:09 AM

:-) great picture & pity you did not feel the 'bang'- I have grown fond of it, though I was never too impressed at the start.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Never knew Bangkok had so much architectural heritage. Stunning photos and excellent tips. Must add this city to my long list of places to vist.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Here are tips I will save for a serious visit to Bangkok, Titus! I was there 3 times and never had time for serious visit. Wat Arun looks really interesting and beautiful! I agree, street food is the best in south East Asia capitals. Greets from Europe.

• norain's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM

oh you was in Bangkok!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Like Dee I've jumped in early - but you DID link from your HP ;) Anyway, I'm so pleased I did - you may not have felt the bang but you've captured some great images & describe the sights so well

Tijavi

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok