"Bangkok without the bang" Bangkok by Tijavi
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,714 reviews and 24,270 photos
It is easy to see why millions of tourists flock to Bangkok, Asia's most visited city. Bangkok's attractions are broad-based, attracting a wide spectrum of holidaymakers: a tourist-friendly gateway to Thailand's beaches and scenic countryside (with a gigantic new airport to boot), stunning temples, cheap delicious food, endless shopping extravaganza and a buzzing, red-hot nightlife.
Sounds like a perfect destination. Perhaps, to many, but not for me. Somehow I didn't feel the buzz of Bangkok's nightlife, not even that of lively Khao San, nor felt the overpowering aura of Bangkok's temples no matter how stunning they were. But the food, though admittedly, was splendidly delicious - and cheap; not to mention the Thais who are a wonderful bunch of gentle people armed with sweet smiles.
Could it be overfamiliarity of the territory coming from Southeast Asia myself (Bangkok is so like Manila, only warmer) or the bad case of flu I had? Whatever the reason was, Bangkok failed to mesmerize me enough to make me want to come back.
- Pros:Temples, food, people
- Cons:Mass tourism hysteria; discrimination against non-farangs
- In a nutshell:Once is enough for me
This restaurant will probably go down in memory as the worst I had in Bangkok - a potent combination of bad food at top... more travel advice
There are two restaurants on Tha Tien pier overlooking the river: (a) the one to your left (facing the river) - a single... more travel advice
Tijavi's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 24 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- updated a Bangkok Travel Page "Bangkok without the bang"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Now EVERYTHING is timing out!"
- Wrote a Review Overhyped and overpriced about Nasir Al-Masri in Bangkok Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Overhyped and overpriced"
- Commented on one of norain's Bangkok travel pages
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 68 reviews, 204 photos
- Boston Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 97 photos
- Bologna Intro, 26 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aleppo Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues