"Europe in the Far East" Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk by saracen
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 42 photos
Sakhalin is an island located in the far east of Russia, in the Sea of Okhotsk. The Tartar Straits separate it from De Kastri on the Russian mainland, and the Straits of La Peruse are all that stand between us and Hokkaido, Northern Japan.
Up until the Second World War, the southern half of the island was Japanese and the northern half was Russian. During this time, it served as a Russian gulag.
After the war, the island was united under Russian ownership. Today there is still an ongoing dispute between Japan and Russia over ownership of some of the minor Kuril islands that stretch south of the Kamchatka Peninsula.
The locals in the city are predominately Caucasian/European with a sizeable minority of Koreans, brought over by the Japanese as slave workers during WWII, and made to stay by the Soviet Russians.
There are also quite a few indiginous tribes of semi nomadic reindeer herders etc. who live to the north of the island. These people are sadly struggling to maintain their traditional way of life, and seem to be suffering significantly as the island rapidly moves into the 21st century.
Yuzhno Sakhalinsk, generally called just Yuzhno, is the administrative capital of the island. It is home to around 200,000 people and is the largest city on the island.
The main industries located here are administrative ones in relation to its regional importance, plus many main offices for the numerous fishing and natural resources companies.
Oil production has long been a feature of Sakhalin industry, but until the arrival of the international oil majors in the 1990's, all production was from onshore sites. Now there is huge investment in the offshore continental shelf to the east and north of the island.
Winters are pretty tough - blizzards and typhoons can last for days, dumping metres of snow on the island. However, the remarkable perseverance of the people means that they very quickly manage to overcome the obstacles, and life resumes as normal very soon afterwards.
- Pros:Nice environment, great summers.
- Cons:Far from everywhere else, expensive, terrible, long winters.
- In a nutshell:A real melting pot of Asian and European.
This particular delicacy (the middle shelf, off-white square block towards the right, at 220 to 260 roubles per kilo) is... more travel advice
A great restaurant with a huge menu - imaginative, well presented dishes, nice big portions, good service - a novelty... more travel advice
Written Oct 13, 2006
Written Sep 3, 2006
Great Train Journeys of the East
saracen's Related Pages
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Europe in the Far East"
- "Sakhalin in russian or Karafuto in japanese"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Hotels in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Transportation in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Nightlife in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Restaurants in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Shopping in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Guesthouses in Patong"
- Wrote a Review More local foods in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to buy things..."
- updated a Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Travel Page "Europe in the Far East"
- Commented on one of jorgejuansanchez's Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk travel pages
Photos in Yuzhno-SakhalinskSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Aberdeen 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Tokyo 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 5 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk hotel reviews
- Santa Resort Hotel Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Mar 1, 2008